Changing Focus from Content to Application.

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members
Over the last two weeks I have completed three sample CATs (2 Manhattan Gmat and 1 GMATPrep), all three exams had me in the 600 to 650 range. As a result I decided to postpone my Gmat Exam scheduled for the end of this month to the end of February. It has become apparent that I am failing to apply my understanding of the material in the most efficient and succinct process to excel on the exam. During my sample CATs, I felt uncertain providing a response to the majority of questions. This uncertainty, coupled with lower than desirable results, has led me to contemplate a change of strategy. Now the question is how do I develop my thinking processes to be well suited for the GMAT. The obvious is to review thoroughly the OG's solution key and use this as a basis for developing specific routines, but I feel there must be more that can be done. Your input and insights are encouraged and greatly appreciated.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:93 members
GMAT Score:750

by brianlange77 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:37 pm
suranga_s wrote:Over the last two weeks I have completed three sample CATs (2 Manhattan Gmat and 1 GMATPrep), all three exams had me in the 600 to 650 range. As a result I decided to postpone my Gmat Exam scheduled for the end of this month to the end of February. It has become apparent that I am failing to apply my understanding of the material in the most efficient and succinct process to excel on the exam. During my sample CATs, I felt uncertain providing a response to the majority of questions. This uncertainty, coupled with lower than desirable results, has led me to contemplate a change of strategy. Now the question is how do I develop my thinking processes to be well suited for the GMAT. The obvious is to review thoroughly the OG's solution key and use this as a basis for developing specific routines, but I feel there must be more that can be done. Your input and insights are encouraged and greatly appreciated.
Suranga:

First off -- please do remember that this test IS SUPPOSED TO BE HARD!! That said, what is your target score range? Do your diagnostics indicate any particular content areas that seem to be troubling you more than others? Quant/Verbal, etc?

Two suggestions:
1. Take a look at the attached link -- https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... -the-gmat/ -- all focused on ways to think about how to improve.
2. Imagine that you need to master the material so that you could ultimately become a GMAT-prep instructor. How would you prepare then?

Shoot me back a note on above and we'll chat more.

-Brian

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by brianlange77 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:39 pm
suranga_s wrote:Over the last two weeks I have completed three sample CATs (2 Manhattan Gmat and 1 GMATPrep), all three exams had me in the 600 to 650 range. As a result I decided to postpone my Gmat Exam scheduled for the end of this month to the end of February. It has become apparent that I am failing to apply my understanding of the material in the most efficient and succinct process to excel on the exam. During my sample CATs, I felt uncertain providing a response to the majority of questions. This uncertainty, coupled with lower than desirable results, has led me to contemplate a change of strategy. Now the question is how do I develop my thinking processes to be well suited for the GMAT. The obvious is to review thoroughly the OG's solution key and use this as a basis for developing specific routines, but I feel there must be more that can be done. Your input and insights are encouraged and greatly appreciated.
Suranga:

First off -- please do remember that this test IS SUPPOSED TO BE HARD!! That said, what is your target score range? Do your diagnostics indicate any particular content areas that seem to be troubling you more than others? Quant/Verbal, etc?

Two suggestions:
1. Take a look at the attached link -- https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... -the-gmat/ -- all focused on ways to think about how to improve.
2. Imagine that you need to master the material so that you could ultimately become a GMAT-prep instructor. How would you prepare then?

Shoot me back a note on above and we'll chat more.

-Brian

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by suranga_s » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:34 pm
Brian,

Thank you for your input. I've read a few articles in the link you've provided and I already acknowledge a number of pitfalls with my studying techniques. I need to shift my focus from content to time management, sound question analysis and strategic thinking. I feel my target score of 730 is attainable, but it won't happen without a change in my approach.

Thanks Again.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by brianlange77 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:16 pm
suranga_s wrote:Brian,

Thank you for your input. I've read a few articles in the link you've provided and I already acknowledge a number of pitfalls with my studying techniques. I need to shift my focus from content to time management, sound question analysis and strategic thinking. I feel my target score of 730 is attainable, but it won't happen without a change in my approach.

Thanks Again.
Suranga:

Not a problem -- please shoot me a note back here and let me know how your next practice test goes, or if there is any help I can offer/provide as you are looking to make some tweaks to your study habits.

Good luck!!

-Brian

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:650

by bpolley00 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:05 pm
Suranga_S,

Hey just looked over your post and wanted to let you know I am in a similar situation you are in. I have been studying since November and on my practice tests I am scoring anywhere between a 650 and a 690. The first time I took the Gmat two years ago I got a 590 (I didn't take the test as seriously as I should of) . If you want to bounce ideas off of each other, go over problems, or even just keep in touch for motivation I would be completely up to it. It is always more enjoyable studying with a partner, especially if you can kind of make a fun game out of it/ make it into a challenge. Let me know if that sounds like something you would be interested in. If not, that is fine as well, as some people enjoy studying alone. I post on here quite a bit so I am sure I will see posts by you in the near future!

-BP