760 - pingpong did the trick

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:2 members

760 - pingpong did the trick

by sanketsharma » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:01 pm
Hi guys,

My 5 months of effort finally led to a happy 760. I am writing a competitive exam after nearly a decade and this exam has been a huge learning experience, both in terms what the exam tests and how to get work done along as a working professional, the latter being an extremely important factor in my success.

About Me:
Busy working professional. Am out of the house 10 hours a day including commute. I do have friends and like to party on the weekends. Finding time to study was difficult.

Test day experience

Integrated Reasoning: During mocks, IR usually has been a race against time. However, on the actual exam it was relatively smooth. There are a couple of interesting charts, one of them being the relationship diagram which are easy to do once you figure out how to get through them. I got stuck in a 2 part CR question (Most support, most weaken). However, since I had saved some time initially, I was able to complete this section on time. The key thing to IR - Make sure you are comfortable with MSR and GI questions. This gives you all the bandwidth you need for the 2 Part questions.

Quant Section: This section started badly. Was completely stumped by the first question.. was a typical number properties question and I mis-read it. Spent 5 minutes on it. However, I was not disheartened. If anything, this just propped me up. Timing was never a problem for me in quant and I did finish the section on time in spite of the initial blip. I did see a probability question - nothing difficult. I did see a couple of interesting coordinate geometry questions (DS) as well. I felt that the exam tested fundamentals. There were hardly any long calculations or solving.

Refreshments: There are many recommendations that I have seen on this forum, with Gatorade being the most common one. I feel refreshed after drinking a lemonade. I did have a granola bar as well. I did see people recommending chocolates, however it leaves a strong aftertaste which I find distracting.

Verbal Section: I had strict timing guidelines for this section. 20 minutes for first 10, 18 each for the next 20, and 19 minutes for the last 11. First 10 went smooth and on time, including an RC. Saved one minute for the next 10 (no RC). Got RC on 21 - a surprisingly long one. That one minute gain allowed me to be calm and comprehend it fully and plough through it. Got a couple of confusing SCs in between. Weird comparisons and constructions, where one had to choose the best out of worst choices. Had to apply POE on them. I had 18 minutes left for the last 11. Told myself, all the hard work is done - need to focus a little longer. Thankfully, nothing weird in the last 11. One more thing - I got a boldface question somewhere between 15 and 20.

My recommendation: Never double guess yourself during the exam. You know what you know and you don't know what you don't know. Worrying about what you don't know will just make it worse. Just focus on doing the best and getting over with the exam.

My Preparation

I started prep in September. Started the traditional way was purchasing the Kaplan GMAT Premier. I got a really good introduction to the GMAT, however nothing more. As a researched forums I realized that MGMAT was the way to go. So ordered the full set from Amazon.

The entire bundle is good value. You get a thick set of books, the tests and other support from MGMAT. The quant bundle is a great refresher. It was easy to read and sift through. I could complete the quant preparation in a month. The books probably cover every topic out there. However, when I look back, I believe that I could have saved 15 days of prep time had I known the areas where I need to work on. It would be really great to have a 100 question diagnostic that tells you what you need to work on (37 questions are too few).

The verbal part was not so great. The SC book is really comprehensive but is a chore to read. The first couple of chapters are great but after that the book introduced so many grammatical terms that I was thoroughly confused. The book was really difficult to read after a full day's work. It seemed to me as if I was studying to be a grammarian rather than an MBA.

I saw a few explanations from e-GMAT on the SC forum. They were great. I check around and found e-GMAT was highly recommended for non-natives. I decided to give it a try. This was much better than reading a book - something that I could do after my work day. Surely, I learned rules, but this time, I understood the reasoning behind them. I attended a free lecture by Payal, one of the SC instructors at e-GMAT, and I was blown away by the meaning centric approach. It just worked so well on SC questions. After that lecture, I decided to take up the course. They sent me a 40 day study plan and all the practice material. It was intensive but something that I could do along with my work. I am glad that I did this because this gave me a focus on what I needed to complete to ace the test. Overall, I would highly recommend this course to anyone who needs help in Verbal. This course is a game changer.

Mock Tests

There are two things that I learned about mocks:

1. Taking (free) mocks from different companies is useless.
2. GMATPrep is the most accurate assessment.

I used three sources for mocks - Grockit, MGMAT and GMAT Prep. I used all three for different purposes. I got Grockit with my eGMAT purchase. I used that resource to prepare for mocks. I would create section wise quizzes (SC. CR. RC) or entire Verbal Quizzes just to know where I stand in a section. The nice thing is that Grockit has a huge question bank and some solid analytics behind it. I did 6-8 verbal quizzes. I went on to MGMAT mocks only when I reached 80% accuracy on these verbal Quizzes. I also did about 10 quant quizzes mainly to see the areas that I needed to work most on.

MGMAT: Then I moved on to MGMAT mocks. MGMAT mocks are a good way to test yourself and to build stamina. I did 4 MGMAT mocks - scores 660, 690, 720 and 740. I realized that quant in these mocks was a lot more calculation intensive. Nevertheless, they have impressive reporting capabilities and even though their scoring is not the same as that of GMAT Prep its very consistent and hence these are a good tool to track your progress.

GMATPrep:I saved them for the last 20 days. Took three mocks (the first one twice). Scored, 720, 740 and 740. These are most representatives of the real GMAT. Excellent questions. I would say that SC on GMAT prep is quite different (more difficult) from MGMAT mocks. CR questions are a bit more tricky as well. RC is very comparable.

I did solve all the GMATPrep questions after I completed the mocks. Make sure that you go through the GMATprep documents posted on GMATClub. They are the best questions out there. Most of the gmat prep questions have been responded to by experts. Make sure that you read those explanations.

So where does Ping Pong come in

Yes, all the above led to my success. However, the biggest contributor to my success was the support from my wife. My study time took out 90% of our together time. So to make the most of the remaining 10%, we developed a routine to play ping pong for a few minutes every night. There is more below but I would tell you that support from family and friends is probably the most important contributor to one's success.

Things that worked for me

Acing the GMAT is no rocket science, yet it requires a lot of effort. Here are a few things that helped me get there.

1. Make routines: Studying was not a part of my daily routine. Initially, I had to make a decision every day as to when to study. I had to seek permission from my wife who always had plans. Overall, this was stressful. To do away with this, I decided to devote 7-9 for studying - 4 days a week. That way I did not have to decide when to study. We would have a light snack 6.30. Once we made these changes, studying became a lot more productive.
2. Confidence: I have read many people say that they do well when attacking one section, yet falter on the mock or the exam. The fact that I did those Grockit quizzes, gave me a lot more confidence that I would perform well. It also helped me with the timing strategy for the exam. I never double guessed myself in the exam.
3. Invest in good sources: Invest in purchasing mocks instead of taking the free ones. It will help you compare your performance and also ensure that you are being tested on concepts presented in OG 13. Similarly, if you are busy professional I recommend investing in prep course as it will keep you on track.
4. Spend time on the correct problems: As I did 6-7 mocks, I realized that the best way to maximize my score was to keep the time, and to spend time on problems that I was confident of answering. Never, take a question personally (especially on verbal). Take a guess and move on if you are not confident about it.
5. Do something interesting along with studying: Studying took two hours away from my day everyday. So I had to do something to compensate for it. I purchased a table tennis (ping pong) table. Those 10 to 15 minutes of ping pong were a great stress buster.
6. Imagine success: There were days when I was down, did not want to work. On those days, I would read success stories from people such as Santanu, read stories of people getting fellowships from the likes of Darden, Tuck etc. I kept telling myself that GMAT is not a chore but an investment in my future, probably my biggest investment. That kept me going all along.

I know that this has been a long post. I hope you find it helpful. I have learned a lot, been motivated by a lot of people on GC and BTG. This is my chance to give back. I will be happy to take any questions.

-Sanket

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:27 am
Congrats! Well done and nice recap!
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:500

by BTG14 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:46 am
Congrats Sanketsharma.. All the best for your B-school application process..

Thanks for your post.. I got some very good points especially ping pong :)

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Gaurav612 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:29 am
Hey

Congrats Sanketsharma on the wonderful score.

Quick question: How close were the Grockit questions to the real exam? I have been doing it intensively (CR and SC) and quant as well.

Would be great if you could guide me on this.

Cheers

by shashank.penumudi » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:41 am
Hi Sanket, congratulations for a great score.

Would you recommend to prepare for quant from manhattan and verbal from e-gmat? I am planning to buy manhattan set of 10 books which includes verbal too, so please advice. And any other source you would want to recommend other than Mgmat, e-gmat?

Thanks,
Shashank

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by adthedaddy » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:44 pm
Hi Sanket,
Congrats for the brilliant score...
Your journey is very inspirational :-)
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary" - Steve Jobs

by divstar » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:11 pm
congrats...
can u please suggest me how to go about verbal preparation.As in study material,mock test.
and is mgmat mock test good enough,as i am planning to purchase them.
hope to get a reply soon.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:120 members
GMAT Score:770

by Tommy Wallach » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:33 pm
Hey Divstar,

Just FYI, your question has been asked many many times on the forum, so it's always worth doing a quick search and seeing what you can come up with. There's no one-size fits all answer for any verbal preparation, because it depends on where you start. The advice in this thread is great, but it may not be perfect for everyone. The best thing to do is take a practice test, and use your score on that to work out how much/what kind of work you need to do to get where you need to be. Maybe take a practice test on our website: https://www.manhattanprep.com.

Once you've done that, let me know here on the thread and I can take a look at it and make some recommendations. Good luck!

-t
Tommy Wallach, Company Expert
ManhattanGMAT

If you found this posting mega-helpful, feel free to thank and/or follow me!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by Cumulonimbus » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:54 pm
Hi Sanket,
Which E-gmat course did you buy, was it only for the SC and are the other ones also equally recommended.
How did you practice? Did you refer to OG review guides for Verbal and Quant?

by divstar » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:19 am
thank u, t...

by sanketsharma » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:45 pm
sorry for the late response folks. Here are the answers to questions:

Grockit Vs Actual GMAT: Grockit is quite good in terms of questions. The scoring is decent too. It gives a range of scores with a mean score that it estimates. However, it does not separate the exam data from the actual quiz data. Yet due to its extremely granular analytics engine I was able to get this data. Its just a bit more work.

My strategy was to use Grockit to prepare for mocks. its custom quiz feature is excellent.

@shashank.penumudi:

After a point, I prepared Verbal just from e-GMAT. I believe that it is really helpful for working professionals. Quant from MGMAT is great too, however as I stated in my debrief, use the Grockit custom quiz feature to see where you need preparation in quant. Then read the corresponding quant book. This will save you at least 15 days - which is precious in gmat world.

@Cumulonimbus: I purchase Verbal Live Prep. I found all the sections to be very good. Their live sessions in SC and CR are very engaging. I practiced from OG 13/OG Verbal 2nd edition and the GMAT prep document (god send, from GMAT Club) as per the Verbal Live Prep study plan.

@Tommy Wallach: I agree that taking a practice test is a great eye opener. I would recommend taking a GMATPrep paper or MGMAT 1 test

by prshnt » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:01 am
Congratulations on your score. And the title of your post is so catchy.