Help on the duration

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Help on the duration

by stevenmat » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:54 pm
Hi .. First of all i'll give a little insight into my profile..I am a mechanical engineer.. Working in an EPC firm for the past 2.5 years.. I have passed CFA level 1 last june .. I have kind of lost touch with the basic math and verbal and i'm doing OG 13 and here's my accuracy
Quant- 65-75%
DS - 65%
RC - 50%
CR- 60%
SC-50%

I know i'm quite bad in the current state... But i am willing to put time and effort to work on the sections...But can anyone help me on how much time will i take to achieve a level that'll help me score 720+ ? Any idea ? (I've asked myself this question several times..but i can't seem to come to a conclusion)..If anyone else who have gone thru the same sort of journey please HELP !!

thanks
always

Steven

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:37 am
It's very hard to gauge the prep time required based on your OG13 accuracy. How long did you spend on each question? Which ones did you answer incorrectly? etc...

Also, keep in mind that the GMAT is a test of your math and verbal skills AND it's a test of your test-taking skills. What's your endurance like? How are your time management skills?

To get an idea of the required prep time, take an official practice test: https://www.mba.com/the-gmat/download-fr ... tware.aspx
It may be the case that you're already scoring above your target score, in which case you may not need to prepare at all.

To help guide your prep, you might consider signing up for BTG's free 60-Day Study Guide (https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/gmat-guide).
Each day you'll receive an email with a series of learning activities that guide you, step-by-step, from Day 1 to test day.
This will ensure that you will cover everything that the GMAT tests.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:93 members
GMAT Score:750

by brianlange77 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:24 am
stevenmat wrote:Hi .. First of all i'll give a little insight into my profile..I am a mechanical engineer.. Working in an EPC firm for the past 2.5 years.. I have passed CFA level 1 last june .. I have kind of lost touch with the basic math and verbal and i'm doing OG 13 and here's my accuracy
Quant- 65-75%
DS - 65%
RC - 50%
CR- 60%
SC-50%

I know i'm quite bad in the current state... But i am willing to put time and effort to work on the sections...But can anyone help me on how much time will i take to achieve a level that'll help me score 720+ ? Any idea ? (I've asked myself this question several times..but i can't seem to come to a conclusion)..If anyone else who have gone thru the same sort of journey please HELP !!

thanks
always

Steven
Steven:

Good overview -- but a word of caution. The GMAT is an adaptive test, so just tracking raw numbers here can be a bit misleading. (i.e. doing well on easy questions does not lead to a good gmat score alone!)

If you haven't had a chance yet, I'd go and spend some time taking a practice test and really reviewing your answers -- https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... ice-tests/ -- both those you get right and, of course, the ones you get incorrect. You'll get a better sense of where you are overall, and most importantly, be able to narrow your focus about where you need to study moving forward.

Let me know if this doesn't make sense.

-Brian

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by stevenmat » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:09 am
thanks alot guys for the prompt reply... I'll take a GMAT Prep test and see where i am like...will keep yll posted

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:93 members
GMAT Score:750

by brianlange77 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:32 pm
stevenmat wrote:thanks alot guys for the prompt reply... I'll take a GMAT Prep test and see where i am like...will keep yll posted
Steven:

Good stuff -- depending on where you are in your overall prep work, I wouldn't worry as much about the essay/IR section on the first one you do here. But, really hold yourself to the 75-minutes per section, and apply test-day approaches (i.e. don't spend 8 minutes on one question!!)

Let us know where you net out.

-Brian

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)