Profile eval. and Guidance Needed

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile eval. and Guidance Needed

by niscat53 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:34 am
Am 27 year old Indian Male
Below is my profile and my goal in a nutshell .
GMAT1:640
GMAT2:660
GMAT3:660(V:35 Q:45)

GPA:3.0

Work experience:
Total experience of 5 years in the IT industry
Currently working in an American Tech MNC as an IT Business Analyst.
Also having Team leadership experience role in the current team.
I also performed the role of offshore co-ordinator in my previous assignment
Promoted from application developer to Business Analyst. Awarded twice in the last 2 years for my job performance.

Average Extracurriculars:
Organised Toastmaster event in the company, hosted account level meeting at the company , played cricket at a local club etc

Post Mba Goal: To enter consulting function in the tech industry

Target Schools:
Texas A&M University:Mays Business School
Boston University
Georgia Institute(Scheller)
Purdue(Krannert)
Kelley, Indiana Univ
Washington University in St. Louis (Olin)
Rice University (Jones)

Could you please evaluate and rate my chances at the above mentioned schools,which I have narrowed down based on my research.
I am still confused which is/are the right location/s in the US that has the best opportunities for my post MBA goal (thats why you see my selection is all over the Map) and is there any such thing as GMAT score affecting future Job prospects esp. consulting post MBA ,kindly advice

Thank you

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:31 members

by Deena@ClearAdmit » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:31 am
Hi Niscat53 and thanks for your post.
I think that you will be a competitive applicant for many of the schools you've mentioned in your post. You could also consider including Smeal (Penn State), Smith (University of Maryland) and Carnegie Mellon (as a reach). In terms of your career post MBA and how to best determine where your schooling would be most valuable, I suggest that you do some research on the other end of the process, re: contact some of the career services offices at these schools or research them online. You also might talk to those who are working in similar positions in the industry that you hope to join, (technology) and speak to them candidly about the pros and cons of these programs once you've done some additional research.
Feel free to contact us at [email protected] for a more detailed assessment of your profile.
Best,
Deena
Deena Maerowitz
MBA Admissions Expert
Clear Admit

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by niscat53 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:47 am
Hi Deena, Appreciate your quick response.

I did have Tepper in my long-list, but as is the case with so many of the Tier-1 schools my GMAT score was falling short of the average.

I know it all depends on the entire application package,but based on your experience is it feasible for me as an Indian applicant to apply to schools where my score is below the average by 10-30 points?

Also the thumb rule I follow for Tier 2 schools is they should be located in either of the top 10-cities or top 5 states economy-wise,otherwise I rule them out.What is your opinion on selecting schools in this manner?

Thank you