Properties of Sets

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Properties of Sets

by Valentino99 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:48 pm
Hello,

could somebody please help with an easier solution for this problem:

A new sales clerk in a department store has been assigned to mark sale items with red tags, and she has marked 30% of the store items for sale. However, 20% of the items that are supposed to be marked with their regular prices are now marked for sale, and 55% of the items that are supposed to be marked for sale are marked with regular prices. What percent of the items that are marked for sale are supposed to be marked with regular prices?
a) 30%
b) 35%
c) 40%
d) 45%
e) 50%

ans: [spoiler]c)[/spoiler]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:06 pm
A new sales clerk in a department store has been assigned to mark sale items with red tags, and she has marked 30% of the store items for sale. However, 20% of the items that are supposed to be marked with their regular prices are now marked for sale, and 55% of the items that are supposed to be marked for sale are marked with regular prices. What percent of the items that are marked for sale are supposed to be marked with regular prices?
1.30%
2.35%
3.40%
4.45%
5.50%
This is a mixture problem.
Ingredient 1: Items that should be marked REGULAR.
Of these items, the percentage marked for sale = 20%.
Ingredient 2: Items that should be marked FOR SALE.
Of these items, the percentage marked for sale = 45%.
When the two types of items are MIXED, the percentage marked for sale = 30%.

Use alligation.

Step 1: Plot the 3 percentages on a number line, with the two starting percentages (20% and 45%) on the ends and the goal percentage (30%) in the middle.
should be regular (20%)----------30%------------------(45%) should be for sale

Step 2: Calculate the distances between the percentages.
should be regular (20%)-----10-----30%----------15--------(45%) should be for sale

Step 3: Determine the ratio in the mixture.
(should be regular) : (should be for sale) is equal to the RECIPROCAL of the distances in red.
Thus:
(should be regular) : (should be for sale) = 15:10 = 3:2.

Since the sum of the parts of the ratio = 3+2 = 5:
Of every 5 items, 3 should be regular and 2 should be for sale, implying that the fraction that should be regular = 3/5.

Let the total number of items = 100.
Should be regular = (3/5)100 = 60.
Since 20% of these items are marked for sale, should be regular but marked for sale = .2(60) = 12.
Since 30% of all the items are marked for sale, the total marked for sale = .3(100) = 30.
Thus:
(should be regular but marked for sale)/(total marked for sale) = 12/30 = 2/5 = 40%.

The correct answer is C.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by Valentino99 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:24 pm
Hi Mitch,

Thank you for the detailed explanation.

Could you please let know what was your thought process to identify this problem as a mixture problem?

When I attempted this problem, I interpreted the meaning of the sentence - "she has marked 30% of the store items for sale" as : 30% of the total no. of items were supposed to be marked for sale. I found out soon that this is wrong as the following percentage (55%)in the problem when applied to 70 items (100 - 30) gives no. of items as non-integer. I just wanted to share what I had thought so that you may correct the way I approached/thought about the problem.

Thanks!
Saurabh

by getherdonedave » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:27 pm
Hi Mitch,

Thank you for the explanation. Could you please explain how you arrived at 45%? Thanks again.

*********Nevermind, just re-read the question. got it!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by teejaycrown » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:18 pm
45% was deduced as 1-55% can you please explain why?