MGMAT SC.

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:6 members

MGMAT SC.

by dhonu121 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:38 am
Italian fashion house Prada, which has been among the most highly regarded clothing and accessory manufacturers, surprised many insiders in moving its sneaker production overseas to Vietnam in 2007.

a,Italian fashion house Prada, which has been among the most highly regarded clothing and accessory manufacturers, surprised many insiders in moving its sneaker production overseas to Vietnam in 2007
b,Prada, the Italian fashion house that is among the most highly regarded manufacturers of clothing and accessories, surprised many insiders in 2007, moving its sneaker production overseas to Vietnam
c,In 2007, Italian fashion house Prada, among the most highly regarded manufacturers of clothing and accessories, surprised many insiders by moving its sneaker production overseas to Vietnam
d,The Italian fashion house Prada, among the most highly regarded clothing and accessory manufacturers in 2007, was a surprise to many insiders when it moved its sneaker production overseas to Vietnam
e,In 2007, surprising many insiders by moving its sneaker production overseas to Vietnam, the Italian fashion house Prada was one of the most highly regarded clothing and accessory manufacturers

OA : C

What is wrong with B here ?
moving its sneaker production overseas to Vietnam is not as good as
by moving its sneaker production overseas to Vietnam.
Is this the only reason why we chose C over B ?

Also in C, the part
surprised many insiders by moving its sneaker production overseas to Vietnam
is so far from the subject
In 2007, Italian fashion house Prada,.
Is this a correct construction generally ?

Please explain.
Thanks.
If you've liked my post, let me know by pressing the thanks button.

Followed by:19 members
GMAT Score:740

by Birottam Dutta » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:07 am
Dear Dhonu121,

On the GMAT, usually that is used as a conjunction (For Example He hoped that she would like it). In , that is modifying the Italian Fashion house, but usually on the GMAT, which is the modifier that is preferred.
Secondly (and this is my understanding), in B, the reason why many insiders are surprised is not quite evident but this is clearly apparent in C because we are using the word "by" to exactly point out what surprised the insiders.

Hope I am clear!

Followed by:4 members

by confuse mind » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:04 am
Why not A?

In C, there is no connection between the subject Prada and among. It should be 'one among the' or 'which is among'

GMAT Score:700

by Gaurav 2013-fall » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:05 am
how C is better than A? any comments??

Followed by:19 members
GMAT Score:740

by Birottam Dutta » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:55 am
Well A is more wordy and if you recall, brevity is absolutely essential for correct sentences on the GMAT.

The "which has been" part that precedes "among the most highly....." is not needed. So A loses out to C on that front!

Followed by:6 members

by dhonu121 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:33 am
confuse mind wrote:Why not A?

In C, there is no connection between the subject Prada and among. It should be 'one among the' or 'which is among'
A is wrong because in moving is wrong.
Correct usage is by moving.
If you've liked my post, let me know by pressing the thanks button.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by raghupara » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:32 am
Birottam Dutta wrote:Dear Dhonu121,

On the GMAT, usually that is used as a conjunction (For Example He hoped that she would like it). In , that is modifying the Italian Fashion house, but usually on the GMAT, which is the modifier that is preferred.
Secondly (and this is my understanding), in B, the reason why many insiders are surprised is not quite evident but this is clearly apparent in C because we are using the word "by" to exactly point out what surprised the insiders.

Hope I am clear!
Hi,

First point - I can't understand much of the modifier error. Sorry, can you explain a bit more.

Second point - How do we know if Prada's intention is to surprise? Probably, the surprise would've been a consequence of the movement right... That was unexpected?

Thanks

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:18 am
dhonu121 wrote:Italian fashion house Prada, which has been among the most highly regarded clothing and accessory manufacturers, surprised many insiders in moving its sneaker production overseas to Vietnam in 2007.

a,Italian fashion house Prada, which has been among the most highly regarded clothing and accessory manufacturers, surprised many insiders in moving its sneaker production overseas to Vietnam in 2007
b,Prada, the Italian fashion house that is among the most highly regarded manufacturers of clothing and accessories, surprised many insiders in 2007, moving its sneaker production overseas to Vietnam
c,In 2007, Italian fashion house Prada, among the most highly regarded manufacturers of clothing and accessories, surprised many insiders by moving its sneaker production overseas to Vietnam
d,The Italian fashion house Prada, among the most highly regarded clothing and accessory manufacturers in 2007, was a surprise to many insiders when it moved its sneaker production overseas to Vietnam
e,In 2007, surprising many insiders by moving its sneaker production overseas to Vietnam, the Italian fashion house Prada was one of the most highly regarded clothing and accessory manufacturers

OA : C

What is wrong with B here ?
moving its sneaker production overseas to Vietnam is not as good as
by moving its sneaker production overseas to Vietnam.
Is this the only reason why we chose C over B ?

Also in C, the part
surprised many insiders by moving its sneaker production overseas to Vietnam
is so far from the subject
In 2007, Italian fashion house Prada,.
Is this a correct construction generally ?

Please explain.
Thanks.
A: Prada surprised...moving its production IN 2007 incorrectly implies that THE YEAR in which the moving took place is what SURPRISED many insiders. For this to be the intended meaning, the sentence would need to make clear why THE YEAR was of particular significance. Eliminate A.

B: COMMA + VERBing implies an action that RESULTS FROM the preceding action. Thus, B incorrectly implies that Prada's MOVING resulted from how it SURPRISED many insiders. Eliminate B.

D: Prada...was a surprise does not convey the intended meaning. The company itself was not a surprise; WHAT IT DID was a surprise. Eliminate D.

E: In 2007...Prada WAS one of the most highly regarded manufacturers changes the intended meaning by implying that Prada NO LONGER is highly regarded. Eliminate E.

The correct answer is C.

As noted above, BY is needed here to convey the causal relationship: Prada surprised many insiders BY moving.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:750

by snigdhakul » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:20 am
Hi,

I wanted to understand that if this usage is correct

In 2007, Italian fashion house Prada, among the most highly regarded manufacturers of clothing and accessories, surprised many insiders by moving its sneaker production overseas to Vietnam

I thought that it should be - In 2007, Italian fashion house Prada, which is among the most highly regarded manufacturers of clothing and accessories, surprised many insiders by moving its sneaker production overseas to Vietnam

Thanks

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:710

by techyrajeev » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:39 am
It seems that in A modifier 'in 2007' is not placed correctly; it is the surprising event that happened in 2007, not the movement to the overseas.