specific job question

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

specific job question

by striker007 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:13 am
I have a specific question related to the career path that would help my MBA application better .

I'm from an Engineering background and I'm a fresher who's going to start working at this Investment banking firm . I've been assigned an IT role at this firm , I have to choose between these two choices , which would be better ?

1.Test Engineer - My job would involve

(a)getting the requirements from the end user
(b)ensuring that the coding team implements the requirements in a way that the user expects
(c)Testing the final product and ensuring that the final product delivered to the end user conforms to all his requirements.

2.SOftware Engineer - here my job would involve

(a)Writing and designing the code for a specific feature that the end user wants

(b) Fixing the bugs that a test engineer would raise

Which of these options would be better ? Again I'm not asking what's the "ideal job "to be in at the pre-mba stage . Also I'm not asking for a profile evaluation . Instead I'm asking which of the above alternatives is viewed better from an Ad-com perspective ?

Thanks
Paul

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:17 pm
Hi Paul,

In this situation, I recommend you pursue the position you are more interested in. The reason is because admissions teams will not only be looking at your entry-level position, but also at your progress. Were your promoted, did you lead other individuals, how were your recommendations - these will all be considered by an MBA program. For the above reason, I recommend you take more into consideration your interest in the position, as opposed to the viewpoint of an admissions committee.

Best,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me