Re-applicant Essays and Achievements

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:6 members

Re-applicant Essays and Achievements

by dhonu121 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:26 am
Hi,
I have this question while I am applying as a re-applicant to a school of my choice.
1.Can I mention some achievements, of my school or previous life, that I did not mention in my previous application ?
The thought process behind asking this is that, what if the adcom thinks that why did the applicant not mention such in his previous application.
2.Can I use my previous years' recommendations without creating a lacuna in my app ?

Thanks In Advance.
If you've liked my post, let me know by pressing the thanks button.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:10 members

by myEssayReview » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:29 am
As a re- applicant your focus should be on your accomplishments since you applied last time.You should show areas in which you have improved upon this year, the difference between last year's version of you and the present version.
1. As for you previous achievements,you may just mention it but you don't want to detail them out because when evaluating you, the Ad Com will be having your previous application along with your current one.
2.Yes, you can use your previous year's recommendations.

If you find my post helpful, please let me know by pushing the thank button.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by youngjames » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:56 am
if there are substantial achievements not mentioned the first time, the adcom will wonder why not? and if they are not substantial, are they worth mentioning? if your perspective has changed since you first applied, then that's different. it's totally reasonable to write from a different, perhaps more enlightened, viewpoint. i think the adcom will respect this kind of reflection and it demonstrates maturity. reframing old content will be a good way to do this. but to come up with new stuff from your college days is not adding any credibility to your re-app.

the adcom will look the most at what you did between your first and second app. your file will contain your original app along with your new one. the entire file will be read cover to cover, so any differences will be easy to spot.

reapplying is often looked at very positively. it shows you are committed to attending and have perseverance and focus....all good things!

reusing letters of reco are fine too, but if i were you, i'd try to get at least one new letter that spoke to your dedication to getting an MBA, career ambition, etc. seems like that'd be an easy one to throw into the mix.

hope that's helpful,
-james young
www.TheFirstRead.com
A new approach to MBA Admissions consulting

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by max_roper » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:18 am
Hi,

Any volunteer or leadership experiences you have obtained since the time of your original application would be ideal to include in your re-application... If you have 3-months before it is time to complete your revised application, perhaps you may want to volunteer as a management consultant for USA Leadership Corps... Through the USALC program, on a part-time basis, you can assist an emerging nonprofit or small business with important strategy issues WHILE improving your leadership & consulting toolkit. Such an experience could only enhance your re-application.

Good luck!
Maxwell