Dejecte with 520. Need pointers for Re GMAT!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Dejecte with 520. Need pointers for Re GMAT!

by saloni » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:44 am
Hi,

I am working and for me getting time off work is seemingly difficult, however that cannot be attributed to my shoddy score. 520 in GMAT, given on 6th July 2012.

I am planning for a re, however I have no strategic study Plan, and I really need some good advice, as to how I should proceed this time round.

I studied for approximately 40 days and since I didnt have access to OG 13, I referred to OG 12, MGMAT for Quant and just the Material available on Internet at random.

I know there is a huge gap in my Prep..and thats where I need help, so that I am capable of raising my score, to something decent.

Thanks a Lot for your help.

\\Saloni

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:04 pm
Without a lot to go on from your text, the best advice I can say is be diligent. Review, Review, Review. The learning is in studying the explanations, not in doing more problems.
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

by saloni » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:24 am
Thanks for your Tip :) .

I do understand that, but Can you please help me in getting the right resources to start my prep in a strategic fashion, like which Books specifically/material to scale up my scores.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by NextGreatLeader » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:42 am
What was the breakdown of your scores? How did your official score compare to your practice test scores?

Also, you mentioned that you used the MGMAT guides. Can you provide some additional insight into how you used the books? You have great resources in the Manhattan guides and the OG; you just need to make sure you are using them effectively. Be sure that you thoroughly understand each chapter, then complete all of the In Action problems. Then, work on the problems in the OG. Don't forget to review and error log.

by saloni » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:25 am
Hey..hi..

I usually used to score around 630.. 640.. and on my D day I ended up with 38 in Quant and 23 in Verbal.. :( ...

I used the MGMAT guides primarily for Quant i.e. the One's on Number Properties, Geometry, Algebra and DS, however I never touched the MGMAT guides for Verbal.

I also Practised only the DS and PS parts from OG 12, AGAIN NO practice in verbal..and thats exactly how verbal stabbed me to get this stupid score.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:40 am
saloni wrote: I am planning for a re, however I have no strategic study Plan, and I really need some good advice, as to how I should proceed this time round.
As you mentioned, your preparation was somewhat incomplete (e.g., lacking in Verbal altogether).
The 60-Day Study Guide (https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/gmat-guide) is a good way to keep on track and ensure that you've covered everything that the GMAT tests.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by campbellronald7 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:12 am
Spend a little extra time on areas which you feel difficult, however, make sure you're not focusing too much on one aspect of the test. Take at least one or two practice tests before heading into the GMAT to ensure you know what to expect.