HELP NEEDED: GMAT Math - Cracking Under the Pressure

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:18 members
GMAT Score:700
So more than likely I will end up needing a GMAT retake based on some disappointing sub 700 practice tests. What seems to be happening is that while taking the test under timed conditions I sometimes crack under the timed pressure and loose my ability to reason through simple problems that include things like exponents, mean/median problems, inequalities, etc.

Interestingly, when I go over the same problems later without the pressure of time I tend to zip through them with relative ease, getting 80-90% of them correct.

Example: During one GMAT Prep exam (Q45) I missed that 9x^4 - 4y^2 is a perfect square and wasted precious minutes doing complex algebra when what you need to get the problem correct ultimately cancels out pretty cleanly, giving you a nice clear answer wrapped up in a bow. I discovered this during my postmortem review BEFORE I ever looked at the answer to confirm this.

Another Example: During another GMAT Prep exam (didn't finish out of frustration - was going to have to guess on 10 problems due to time). I tried to adjust my strategy and "calm" down, which only led to taking way too much time and me being rushed at the end anyway. On one problem I was asked to find x when 2^x - 2^x-2 = 3(2^13). I panicked and began writing down exponents of two, ultimately guessing that the answer was x=15 b/c 2^15 ~ 32k and 2^13 ~ 8k and 32k - 8k ~ 24k which is ~ 3(8k), with 8k ~ 2^13. I wasted 3+ minutes doing type of crude, gutter math.

After I quit the test in frustration I looked at this SAME problem and within about 45-60 seconds was able to recognize that 2^x-2 needed to be broken down into (2^x)(2^-2), reducing the phrase to the left of the equation to 2^x(1-2^-2), or (3/4)*2^x = 3(2^13), such that 2^x = (4)(2^13), or 2^x=(2^2)(2^13), meaning 2^x=2^15, concluding that x=15.

How can I access this type of clarity DURING the actual exam? At least this is one of the ones that I more than likely got correct. There are plenty more that I couldn't figure out in time and had to guess. It's very frustrating to perform poorly on something that you absolutely know you know how to do.

What should my strategy be over the next 30+ days should I end up doing a retake (which seems probable.)
https://www.mbaover30.com
Get into a Top B-School after 30 (or at any age)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by tutorphd » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:13 pm
Your performance on a timed test is always going to be lower than your performance in relaxed conditions. Nothing in the world can eliminate this effect but you can reduce it.

(1) Over-train for a level higher than your target level:

To me as a tutor, it seems that you need to solve more practice problems. All the problems you mentioned involve factorization over addition/subtraction. When I see someting like 2^x - 2^x-2 my INSTINCT is FACTORIZE no matter the rest of the problem. Then I look at the whole problem, run it in my head and estimate if factorization would help. You know the principle, but it hasn't become your instinct yet and in hectic timed conditions GMAT is testing your math instincts. Writing FACTORIZE on a flash card won't help, you can develop such instincts only after you have practiced it many times: at least 100+ problems in powers and roots. Unfortunately, the official guides and the prep books are all skimpy on problems. Some tutors have problems sets organized by topics. I personally have compliled problem sets from many books, classified by problem types and difficulty level - usually above 100 problems in each topic. Of course, when you solve those problems always ask yourself "What is the principle in this problem?". Memorize the principle like "factorize equations to solve them". If you try to memorize the actual problem, like some people do in desperation, you will have to memorize a thousand problems without seeing the logical repetition in them and at the end GMAT will give you a problem that combines principles and you won't be able to recognize it.

(2) Practice tests under timed conditions:

That will teach you time-management. Later you can analyze your errors and some patterns may appear such as marking wrong answer when you got the correct one or lack of the correct instinct in some types of problems. Also it will teach you that you actually CAN solve some of the problems that you got wrong and that is a very empowering thought. You will notice the types of problems in which that is happening and will learn to be extra cautious with them.

Sources of timed tests:
GMATPrep CAT
GMAT Focus CATs
retired official paper tests by GMAC
800 score CATs (too hard)
MGMAT CATs
VStudy books
GMAT Plus books

(3) Take a stimulant to speed up your brain processes:

If you drink coffee, probably it doesn't work anymore. If you don't, caffeine tablets are the obvious first choice; there are also many legal herbal stimulants that do work - usually bodybuilders know them. Test-drive the stimulant when you take timed practice tests. A moderate stimulant dose should speed up your thoughts and improve your scores under stressful timed conditions. A dose too high will make you too jittery, brain-scattered and trigger happy and must be avoided. By trial and error during your timed practice tests, you will find the right stimulant and dose.
Also observe at what time during the day you are most effective at math and schedule the test at such a time. Some people prefer morning, some afternoon, it depends on your brain biochemistry and what you have eaten. Observe what type of meals make you lethargic and slow thinking and what types give you even constant energy. Choose the latter of course before the test.
Skype / Chicago quant tutor in GMAT / GRE
https://gmat.tutorchicago.org/

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:18 members
GMAT Score:700

by mbaover30 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:26 pm
Thanks tutorphd. I actually did complete several hundred problems during my prep; however, my mistakes were:

1) Waiting until too late to test my quant mettle under timed pressure
2) Not spending enough time to review my category to sharpened my instinctual response.

I thought that because I did a ton of math as an engineering undergrad that my instincts would be as sharp as they needed to be; but I am seeing that is not necessarily the case--at least not enough for a 720-760.

So, I will do my best tomorrow on the exam and plan a retake in ~50/60 days should I perform below my target range.

Thanks again.
https://www.mbaover30.com
Get into a Top B-School after 30 (or at any age)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:750

by sunman » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:36 am
I would recommend against taking a stimulant.

I have the same problem, I find it very difficult to crack 47Q on the real GMAT despite having scored 48-50 on the real deal.

I take Jack3d or No-Xplode before I work out. A lot of times, I am studying before I go lift, and when I take the supplement, I'm often so wired that I can't properly focus.

Don't mess with caffeine before a test. I would go "au-naturel" with a good night of sleep and a well nourished body. It's tried and true.
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has" - Margaret Mead

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:49 pm
Fundamentals are the key to success. Know the ins and outs of all disciplines and how they are tested. Your particular example says you did not review in depth enough. This is a nuanced exam and all of the little things you see need to be on quick recall.

Definitely take under timed conditions.
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:54 pm
i received a private message about this thread. here are few comments.
mbaover30 wrote:Example: During one GMAT Prep exam (Q45) I missed that 9x^4 - 4y^2 is a perfect square and wasted precious minutes doing complex algebra
one thing that is a hallmark of this exam is that "complex algebra" is essentially never required. in fact, if you've done more than a few lines of algebra and don't seem to be approaching a solution, you should simply stop what you are doing!
(... and then try something else, if you can think of something else ... or just guess, if you can't).

there's a reason why gmac has created a test with so many problems in such a modest amount of time -- and that reason is to discriminate in favor of people who can "pick battles" and who aren't afraid to throw away problems on which they aren't making progress.
Another Example: During another GMAT Prep exam (didn't finish out of frustration - was going to have to guess on 10 problems due to time). I tried to adjust my strategy and "calm" down
ya, you probably shouldn't do that (try to "calm down"). this is an exam that causes stress -- period. you have to realize that this stress is going to be there, and plan accordingly.
here's an analogy:
* think about athletes who "shine" under pressure -- athletes who actually perform better in playoff games and so on.
* now, think about athletes who "choke" under pressure -- athletes who lose focus and underperform in the playoffs.
the key realization here is that both groups of athletes are experiencing exactly the same stress -- the difference is that one group (the "shine" group) has learned to make that stress work FOR them, while the other group (the "choke" group) is still letting the stress work against them.

the same thing is true for normal people who are not professional athletes. think about a day in your own life on which you've been particularly productive and "on the ball" with things.
were you "calm" and "relaxed" on that day? almost certainly not. you were probably very tense and stressed -- but you were making that stress work FOR you, not against you.
you need to learn to do the same thing on this exam.

if you are not generally a "chill" person, then, ironically, calming yourself down before the GMAT maybe the worst thing you can possibly do. in that case, the stress of the exam might become more acute, in the same way that sunshine seems brighter when you've been in a dark room for a while.
, which only led to taking way too much time and me being rushed at the end anyway. On one problem I was asked to find x when 2^x - 2^x-2 = 3(2^13). I panicked and began writing down exponents of two, ultimately guessing that the answer was x=15 b/c 2^15 ~ 32k and 2^13 ~ 8k and 32k - 8k ~ 24k which is ~ 3(8k), with 8k ~ 2^13. I wasted 3+ minutes doing type of crude, gutter math.
did you think about estimating the quantities?

if you work up to 2^10 (which doesn't take long), you'll find that 2^10 = 1024. then you can just say that 2^10 is about 1000, and 2^11 is about 2000, and so forth.
the answer is in that problem are nowhere close to each other, so this is plenty good enough to solve the problem.

After I quit the test in frustration I looked at this SAME problem and within about 45-60 seconds was able to recognize that 2^x-2 needed to be broken down into (2^x)(2^-2), reducing the phrase to the left of the equation to 2^x(1-2^-2), or (3/4)*2^x = 3(2^13), such that 2^x = (4)(2^13), or 2^x=(2^2)(2^13), meaning 2^x=2^15, concluding that x=15.
... or you could estimate the quantities.

ideally, both. (this is the point of review -- you shouldn't be trying to find "the" approach; you should simply be trying to find as many approaches as you possibly can.)
How can I access this type of clarity DURING the actual exam? At least this is one of the ones that I more than likely got correct. There are plenty more that I couldn't figure out in time and had to guess. It's very frustrating to perform poorly on something that you absolutely know you know how to do.
the best thing you can do is have multiple approaches. that way, if one of them doesn't come to mind, there are still others.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:00 pm
sunman wrote:Don't mess with caffeine before a test. I would go "au-naturel" with a good night of sleep and a well nourished body. It's tried and true.
good advice for some people; bad for others.

with sleep, the only meaningful rule is that you should get the same amount of sleep you're used to. if you don't normally "get a good night's sleep" -- e.g., if you are so busy that you simply don't get to sleep that many hours -- then getting a good night's sleep before the test is a very bad idea; it will throw your mind into unfamiliar territory/circumstances.
it's just as bad to sleep more than your usual amount as it is to sleep less than the usual amount.
if you are skeptical, google "state-dependent recall" or "state-dependent learning" -- this is an established, bedrock fact of human psychology.

the same is true for caffeine and other stimulants, too. if you usually have some sort of stimulant in your system when you study, then you should also take a stimulant when you take the exam. if not, then probably not. it's disingenuous, not to mention presumptuous, to simply give blanket advice (such as "don't take a stimulant") -- as if this were some sort of universal principle. it's not; these things vary considerably from individual to individual.

needless to say, these are the sorts of things that you need to experiment with. you still have plenty of time until your retake, so play around with different amounts of caffeine, etc. also, keep some sort of journal of your mental state vs. how many hours of sleep you are getting. if you do these things, you'll have a much better idea of the optimal course of action on test day.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron