SC - Meaning (Challenging !!!)

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:70 members

SC - Meaning (Challenging !!!)

by karthikpandian19 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:18 pm
However much scientists may agree that the average global temperature is rising and that this rise is at least partially caused by human activity, global warming remains a subject of heated debate for both American citizens and lawmakers.

(A) However much scientists may agree that

(B) Despite agreement among scientists to the fact

(C) Although scientists agree

(D) Even though most scientists may agree

(E) There is agreement among many scientists that
Regards,
Karthik
The source of the questions that i post from JUNE 2013 is from KNEWTON

---If you find my post useful, click "Thank" :) :)---
---Never stop until cracking GMAT---

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:700

by bubbliiiiiiii » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:38 am
karthikpandian19 wrote:However much scientists may agree that the average global temperature is rising and that this rise is at least partially caused by human activity, global warming remains a subject of heated debate for both American citizens and lawmakers.

(B) Despite agreement among scientists to the fact - needs that

(C) Although scientists agree - needs that

(D) Even though most scientists may agree - needs that

(E) There is agreement among many scientists that - creates a run on sentence
By POE - A?
Regards,

Pranay

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by abcgmat » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:19 am
However much scientists may agree that the average global temperature is rising and that this rise is at least partially caused by human activity, global warming remains a subject of heated debate for both American citizens and lawmakers.

(B) Despite agreement among scientists to the fact
(C) Although scientists agree
(D) Even though most scientists may agree
(E) There is agreement among many scientists that

This sentence could be easy if you notice 'and that in second half'
so we need to look for 'that' in first half
Only A and E have
A is less wordy than E(there, agreement(agree is better) is not required)
Also E has 2 IC seperated by ',' [IC,IC- incorrect]
We need either DC,IC or IC,DC
IMO:A

Legendary Member

by karthikpandian19 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:36 am
OA is A
Regards,
Karthik

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by sandeep_thaparianz » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:29 am
I chose E because A has much scientists and much is used for uncountable things.

Pleas help y much is correct here?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by GMAT_2010_2707 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:09 am
In option A - "However much scientists may agree that" is "much" is acting as an adverb and is modifying verb agree. Is that so?

Legendary Member

by karthikpandian19 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:34 pm
Sandeep,

The idiomatic However much scientists may agree is a proper way to begin a comparative sentence. Much properly describes a quantity that cannot be counted (the amount that scientists agree) and the word that is a relative pronoun that is necessary to begin the clause that describes the agreement. This is parallel to the second clause describing the agreement, that this rise is...

The scientists can be counted and that "much" is used for uncountable nouns, and "most" or "many" is used for countable nouns.
For example:
"Don't pour too much water into my glass." ("Water" is uncountable, so we use "much.")

"Don't put too many pieces of broccoli on my plate." ("Pieces of broccoli" is countable, so we use "many.")

"Most castles in Ireland are very old." ("Castles" is countable, so we use "many.")

"There is too much rain in Ireland." ("Rain" is uncountable, so we use "much.").

But we're not describing the scientists with "however" here. We're describing the AMOUNT that scientists agree, which is not countable. It's a magnitude, not a number.

So the best way to remember this correct expression ("however much") is to use what you know about "most" vs. "much," and about "however." When "however" functions as an adverb, it means "in whatever manner" or "to whatever extent." So "however much" means "to whatever extent or magnitude," and "however much scientists agree" means "to whatever extent/magnitude scientists agree." Since the amount that scientists agree is not countable, we use "much," not "many."

"However most scientists agree" means "in whatever way most scientists agree." But we're talking about the amount they agree, not the manner in which they agree. So "however much" is the correct expression. And if we wanted to talk about the number of scientists instead of the extent of their agreement, we would use "many" because "scientists" are countable. "However many scientists agree" means "whatever the number of scientists that agree."

Hope this IDIOM ambiguity is clarified. Let me know if you have any issues.

sandeep_thaparianz wrote:I chose E because A has much scientists and much is used for uncountable things.

Pleas help y much is correct here?
Regards,
Karthik

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by damham17 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:39 pm
GMAT_2010_2707 wrote:In option A - "However much scientists may agree that" is "much" is acting as an adverb and is modifying verb agree. Is that so?
Yes. The statement isn't quantifying the number of scientists but rather to what extent the scientists agree.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by sandeep_thaparianz » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:06 am
Got the point. Great explanation karthik

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by ShreeCS » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:22 pm
The underlined part indicates the scientists may agree and not a confirmed agreement. Intending to keep the original meaning intact, only A and D remain. And in D, most scientists agree is again not present in the original sentence. Original sentence just quantifies the amount of agreement and not how many scientists agree. So, A wins. This is my reasoning. Hope I am thinking right! Correct me if I am wrong!

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by [email protected] » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:19 am
Yes the correct answer is A and not anything else...

Option E does not preset a contrast.

Options C and D need a that in the sentence

Option B requires the usage of 'that' in the sentence.

Option A uses the correct usage of 'that' making it parallel and also uses the correct contrast 'however' for the sentence to deliver a correct meaning.

This OA is absolutely correct.
IT IS TIME TO BEAT THE GMAT

LEARNING, APPLICATION AND TIMING IS THE FACT OF GMAT AND LIFE AS WELL... KEEP PLAYING!!!

Whenever you feel that my post really helped you to learn something new, please press on the 'THANK' button.