gave back

C. an individual of considerable influence created a personal fortune and
gave back

D. an individual of considerable influence, created a personal fortune and
gave it back

E. an individual of considerable influence, created a personal fortune and
then he gave it back

See below for answer..

The answer given is A but shouldn't it be D. Mr. King should have given the "fortune" back to the community .. right? Why is "gave back to community" correct instead of "gave it back to community"?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:143 members

by Kasia@EconomistGMAT » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:46 am
"To give back to the community" is a phrase separate from "to give SOMETHING back to somebody." It means to be generous and repay as if what you have received from the society or your community earlier.
Kasia
Senior Instructor
Master GMAT - the #1 rated GMAT course

"¢ If you found my post helpful, please click the "thank" button and/or follow me.

"¢ Take a 7 day free trial and find out why Economist GMAT is the highest rated GMAT course - https://gmat.economist.com/

"¢ Read GMAT Economist reviews - https://reviews.beatthegmat.com/economis ... mat-course

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by coolhabhi » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:00 am
Kasia@MasterGMAT wrote:"To give back to the community" is a phrase separate from "to give SOMETHING back to somebody." It means to be generous and repay as if what you have received from the society or your community earlier.
But Kasia "to give SOMETHING back to somebody" is also correct for the sentence. So how do we know that only A is correct?

Please explain.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:54 am
coolhabhi wrote:
Kasia@MasterGMAT wrote:"To give back to the community" is a phrase separate from "to give SOMETHING back to somebody." It means to be generous and repay as if what you have received from the society or your community earlier.
But Kasia "to give SOMETHING back to somebody" is also correct for the sentence. So how do we know that only A is correct?

Please explain.
Good question.

In answer choice D, we have an ambiguity problem with the pronoun "it." What does it refer to?
What did Mr. King give back? His influence? His personal fortune?

Also, both of these references make little sense when coupled with the word "back."
case 1) He gave his influence back to the community? This suggests that the community once possessed the influence and were given it back.
case 2) He gave his personal fortune back to the community? This suggests that the community once possessed the Mr. King's personal fortune and were given it back.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by iongmat » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:35 am
Not sure if this is an authentic question. Can you let us know the source. For example, the only difference between A and C seems to be a comma. You would not find this GMAT.

In fact, in the context of the sentence, E should be the right answer. With A, it seems that he did two totally unrelated things:

1. He created personal fortune
2. He gave back to the community (As Kasia mentions, give back to the community definitely cannot be interpreted as if he gave his fortune back)

The intent clearly is to say that he gave fortune back; this is definitely not coming out in A.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:192 members
GMAT Score:780

by Bill@VeritasPrep » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:44 am
Grammatically, A and D are fine, so it comes down to meaning.

A--"gave back"; to help the community

D--"gave it back"; returned his fortune to the community

Either could work, but when in doubt I err on the side of the original meaning.
Join Veritas Prep's 2010 Instructor of the Year, Matt Douglas for GMATT Mondays

Visit the Veritas Prep Blog

Try the FREE Veritas Prep Practice Test

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by en.mohitgupt » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:02 am
Brent@GMATPrepNow wrote:
coolhabhi wrote:

Please explain.
Good question.

In answer choice D, we have an ambiguity problem with the pronoun "it." What does it refer to?
What did Mr. King give back? His influence? His personal fortune?

Also, both of these references make little sense when coupled with the word "back."
case 1) He gave his influence back to the community? This suggests that the community once possessed the influence and were given it back.
case 2) He gave his personal fortune back to the community? This suggests that the community once possessed the Mr. King's personal fortune and were given it back.

Cheers,
Brent
thanx brent for your explanation

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by pankajattri » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:02 pm
iongmat wrote:Not sure if this is an authentic question. Can you let us know the source. For example, the only difference between A and C seems to be a comma. You would not find this GMAT.

In fact, in the context of the sentence, E should be the right answer. With A, it seems that he did two totally unrelated things:

1. He created personal fortune
2. He gave back to the community (As Kasia mentions, give back to the community definitely cannot be interpreted as if he gave his fortune back)

The intent clearly is to say that he gave fortune back; this is definitely not coming out in A.
I was browsing through the net for practice questions and that is where I found it (testprepreview.com to be precise).

As far as the difference between choice A and C is concerned I would think otherwise. GMAT does check application of commas. One additional flaw that I could find in E is the extra "he" in the last sentence. I don't think it is required. I would also agree with Bill on sticking to the original meaning.