Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile evaluation - No Work Experience

by vipul2012 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:26 am
Hi
Name : Vipul Aggarwal
Nationality : Indian
GMAT Score : 750
GPA : 3.75/4

Having no work experience adds a big blot on chances of getting into top 20 b schools.
But to compensate for this i added lots of extra curricular activities over the years.

1. At school i was selected to represent india in an international competition in both mathematics and English. I was the youngest student to represent india.
2. Have published few papers in national journals.
3. Have plethora of certificates (43 certificates) won in competitions during festivals in colleges all across delhi. Both in technical and non technical fields from reputed colleges like IIT and DCE.
4. Author of the book "Quevra"
5. I am working on 1 project that would be accepted by the indian army as a defense equipment and would revolutionize the modern transport. (Can not reveal the name and dimensions of the project).
6. During internship i worked with big companies like IBM and UNITED HEALTH.

What are the chances of me getting into top 20 colleges given the above profile. Is work experience really necessary despite having worked with international brands and having strong extra curricular profile ?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:50 am
Hi vipul2012,

Although there are exceptions, in general business schools like to see candidates with at least 2 years of work experience. Some programs, for example Harvard Business School and the Stanford GSB, have been known to look at younger candidates, but having work experience not only helps you add value in the classroom, but it also helps give you more direction in a program.

Are there any MBA programs in particular you are considering?

Best,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me