Looking to jump start career, is an MBA right for me?

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I graduated in 2010 with a 3.55 GPA and a B.S. in Zoology. I took the GMAT last year and managed a 710, but with lower quantitative scores than I'd been averaging in my practice exams.

I majored in Zoology, as I was hoping to go to medical school, but decided against the field after some soul searching. Since graduation I've been working as a bartender and server and traveling across the state to perform music with a band. I've decided I'm interested in business, specifically marketing, but I'm not sure how I can best break into the field and I'm not sure what sort of opportunities are open to a science major with no internship experience.

Should I look into going back to school to open new doors, or are there other opportunities more suited to a person with my background?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:03 pm
Hi holtnt,

Business school might be the right choice for you. However, I recommend you spend time developing your work experience before applying to an MBA program. The reason is that first, from work experience you will develop a better understanding of what you are looking to get out of an MBA program, and second, most MBA programs like to see applicants with at least 2 years of work experience.

Best,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me