Sculpted boulders found at Lepenski

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Sculpted boulders found at Lepenski

by rajcools » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:12 am
Sculpted boulders found at Lepenski Vir, an example of the earliest monumental art known from central and western Europe, includes 15 figures with human features similar to Upper Paleolithic forms and to Middle Eastern Nantufian stone figurines.

A) Vir, an example of the earliest monumental art known from central and western Europe, includes
B) Vir, examples of the earliest monumental art known from central and western Europe, include
C)Vir, earliest of monumental art known from central and western Europe, include
D)Vir are examples of the earliest monumental art known from central and western Europe and includes
E)Vir are examples of the earliest monumental art known from central and western Europe, including

OA after some discussion

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by [email protected] » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:26 am
IMO C
Sculpted boulders - Plural.
Hence either B/C

Now since we are talkin' about Sculpted boulders, these are nothing but monumental arts.
C looks more concise that does B.

by bobdylan » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:36 am
I will choose D

by bobdylan » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:36 am
I will choose D

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by ankita1709 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:01 am
rajcools wrote:Sculpted boulders found at Lepenski Vir, an example of the earliest monumental art known from central and western Europe, includes 15 figures with human features similar to Upper Paleolithic forms and to Middle Eastern Nantufian stone figurines.

A) Vir, an example of the earliest monumental art known from central and western Europe, includes
B) Vir, examples of the earliest monumental art known from central and western Europe, include
C)Vir, earliest of monumental art known from central and western Europe, include
D)Vir are examples of the earliest monumental art known from central and western Europe and includes
E)Vir are examples of the earliest monumental art known from central and western Europe, including

OA after some discussion
I think the answer should be D
Reason- an example of the earliest monumental art known from central and western Europe is a modifier and in the original sentence it seems to modify Lepenski Vir (which it should not )because it describes the art form.
Hence A, B , C - out
between D and C the sentence includes 15 figures with human features similar to Upper Paleolithic forms and to Middle Eastern Nantufian stone figurines. is adding information about the art from so and should be used

Legendary Member
Followed by:49 members
GMAT Score:770

by eagleeye » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:00 pm
Good question. The correct answer should be B. . Let's go through the options one by one:

We are talking about sculptures, which are plural, "includes" is a singular verb. Hence wrong. Also, it seems to modify Lipinski Vir, which is a place and not an example of art. ("at Lipinski Vir"). NO

This is correct. It corrects both problems with the first one:
1) It has the plural verb include.
2) It reads "Sculpted boulders found at Lepenski Vir, examples of the earliest monumental art". Clearly "examples" a plural noun, can only refer to "Sculpted boulders". So no ambiguity. YES.

Vir looks like its being modified. Vir is a place not "the earliest of monumental art" NO.

The part till and is ok, but the problem is "includes". "Sculpted Boulders" are plural and hence the verb after AND must be "include". NO.

including seems to modify "Central and western Europe" Meaning change.Ambiguous. NO.

Let me know if this helps :)
Last edited by eagleeye on Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by rajcools » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:43 pm
OA is B

@eagleeye gud explanation
but i have a doubt about your reason for eliminating E

In E there is no modifier
"are" is the verb there
I think "including" in E, starting point of subordinate clause, is the problem here. What say?

Legendary Member
Followed by:49 members
GMAT Score:770

by eagleeye » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:54 pm
rajcools wrote:OA is B

@eagleeye gud explanation
but i have a doubt about your reason for eliminating E

In E there is no modifier
"are" is the verb there
I think "including" in E, starting point of subordinate clause, is the problem here. What say?
Good catch rajcools, I was playing this one by ear, and misread it. Anyway, see the edited response, you should be satisfied.

Let me know if this helps :)

Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:720

by ice_rush » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:48 pm
take out the middle man and you are left with: Sculpted boulders...include 15 figures with human features...

We are now left with (B) and (C) ... only (B) preserves the original meaning.

Hope this helps.

Followed by:1 members

by 1947 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:40 pm
rajcools wrote:Sculpted boulders found at Lepenski Vir, an example of the earliest monumental art known from central and western Europe, includes 15 figures with human features similar to Upper Paleolithic forms and to Middle Eastern Nantufian stone figurines.

C)Vir, earliest of monumental art known from central and western Europe, include <<Change of meaning >>

OA after some discussion
not sure how E can be ruled out...B for me.
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button. Thanks

by 1947 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:43 pm
guys can you please discuss the use of including....
I remember Ron saying that its usage is different from regular verb+ing words.

Thanks

Legendary Member
Followed by:32 members
GMAT Score:760

by avik.ch » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:32 am
1947 wrote:guys can you please discuss the use of including....
I remember Ron saying that its usage is different from regular verb+ing words.

Thanks

1. It modifies the preceding noun. ( it looks like a comm+ing modifier, but it did not work in this way)
John scored 100 marks in his most recent exam, bringing his average to 95%. - It modifies the whole clause.
The Natural Fitness Test consists mostly of body exercise program, including sit-ups, X....

2.It should give a list of some, but not all, of that noun.

The Gym teacher asked us to do three body exercise, including X,Y and Z.( this is wrong, as all are mentioned)
The Gym teacher asked us to do ten body exercise, including X,Y and Z ( this is Ok)

Please note : These all are Ron's example.

Hope this helps !!

by rajcools » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:51 am
@experts please tell the best way to eliminate E

by 1947 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:22 am
As explained by avik...
,including is used when
1. it mnodifies the preceding Noun
2. give a partial list of examples.

by this reasoning including here modifies location(europe)
not the intended meaning...so E can be ruled out.

by rajcools » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:12 am
i still have doubt
-ing form modifies subject of the precding clause or the whole of preceding clause

And in this case subject is

"Sculpted boulders found at Lepensk are"

so i still dont get it :(