Score 690 - Q 49 , V -35 - What shall I do please suggest?

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members
Hi

I gave my GMAT on 3rd May and got 690 score. I have 2 years IT experience in an MNC.
Have good leadership exposure to showcase.
I am looking for top 50 universities only.
Should I retake GMAT ?
I do not have any financial backup, so would be depending on scholarship and loan only!
My scores in mocks were
MGMAT1 - 710
MGMAT2 - 710
MGMAT3 - 690
GMATPREP1 -740
GMATPREP2- 710

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:720

by digvijayk » Thu May 17, 2012 3:21 pm
If you are targeting top-50 US Universities and you have that score and a good profile, you have a great chance of getting in. Calm yourself down with this list:

https://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... a-rankings

If I were you, I'd start working on my apps and apply early. Because, that way, you'll get time to think about your profile, build a set of killer utilities -> MBA business resume + Well thought out essays + Patiently filled application forms. And get that coveted scholarship/other financial aid well in time. Aim for 3-5 schools and get going now.
If you're targetting ISB though, with that score and an IT profile, its a bit tough. Still, start working on your app, 690 opens doors :)
If you have no social welfare experience or if you have some other gap in your profile, start doing something about that. GMAT score isn't everything, its just one part. Sign up for one of those free profile evaluation sessions here at BTG. All the Best :)

Followed by:6 members

by dhonu121 » Wed May 30, 2012 10:27 am
Dude, same story.
Rewind one year.
I became pretty ambitious though and targeted just the top 15. ISB being one of them. Didn't make it to any, thanks partly to the consulting that I chose to guide me.
Since your work ex is low and profile pretty generic(DONT take me wrong here), I would suggest a retake.
If you've liked my post, let me know by pressing the thanks button.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by ngupta27 » Wed May 30, 2012 8:17 pm
@digvijayk and @ dhonu121
Thanks for the hope and your feedback.
- I have a pretty good exposure to leardership activities apart from my professional career.
Actively involved in my company's cultural activities. Leading a club in my company.
Running activities for an NGO. Running my own musical classes
In my college days , I was campus ambassador for an IT giant, formed my own club , part of college band.
In school days, I was school captain and led the students in lot of activities.
But even I am considering a retake so that I am able to compete with the large pool of Indian applicants like dhonu mentioned.

Please suggest now you think about my profile

Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:720

by digvijayk » Thu May 31, 2012 3:55 pm
@Dhonu121 its not about what you have in your profile (how little or how much), its about presentation. And I never mentioned anything about NOT retaking it. In fact, I did explain that getting in to ISB would be tough. So what you are saying is in alignment with what I am saying.

@ngupta27 - Like I said, it is about you taking time to think long and hard about your profile. You mentioned all these experiences, but don't mention it to the admissions committee like this. What you need to show is the IMPACT of your activities! :) And that I think you can do- Like, how many people did you touch via your social work ? How do you manage your time and resources running the musical classes ? How does your leadership of the club impact anyone and how are you as a leader ? If their is any way to quantify things do that for sure.
In saying all that, there's is still time for you to re-take if you want( the new IR section isn't all that difficult). Maybe if you target July-end/August. Take a look at this guy's strategy too, getintobschool.weebly.com - I mean best to follow a way that has worked. Focus on RC, painstakingly solving every official passage - OG12/13 or VR2, using some strategy. It raised my V from 35/36 to 41-43 in about 2 weeks. Working on my CR raised it 43 above. We keep focusing on SC when 2/3rd of the test is RC and CR. And scores on RC/CR can be improved (** with lots of work)! Imagine Q 49 V41 (assuming you somehow do not improve in quant)!

At the same time, squeeze in some time for thinking about your profile. Its about your BRAND. I'm definitely in a similar boat as dhonu, but i did get in to one school and without scholarship. And my friend(who's a year younger) got in with 100% scholarship to RICE, he is 24 and so we must aim high, else we won't reach anywhere.
Please find the following resources. They will be useful:

1. The Best Business Schools' Admissions Secrets - A Must have book.
2. https://www.aringo.com/clientinfo/chance ... n27985.htm - I got this link from PoetsAndQuants. A free tool to check your profile, again, you could be a 780 with great experiences, but no presentation=no getting in! These guys get people in who have literally very little in their profiles. They're expensive, but this calculator thing is free!
3. Tip - Get your profile evaluated for free by as many consultant companies available here on BTG (via phone or skype) as you can. They don't try to sell anything on those calls, and they were the best help I got.

All the Best!