Gmat prep- Experts pls

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Gmat prep- Experts pls

by bryan88 » Mon May 21, 2012 10:54 am
Before scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth hormone, removing it painstakingly in small amounts from the pituitary glands of human cadevers.

A)
B) scientists had learned about making a synthetic growth hormone, they had to remove it painstakingly.
C) scientists learned how to synthesize the growth hormone, it had to be painstakingly removed
D) learning how to make a sythetic growth hormone, scientists had to remove it painstakingly
E) learning how to synthesize the growth hormone, it had to be painstakingly removed by scientists

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by thestartupguy » Mon May 21, 2012 11:11 am
IMO: C

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon May 21, 2012 2:51 pm
bryan88 wrote:Before scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth hormone, removing it painstakingly in small amounts from the pituitary glands of human cadevers.

A)
B) scientists had learned about making a synthetic growth hormone, they had to remove it painstakingly.
C) scientists learned how to synthesize the growth hormone, it had to be painstakingly removed
D) learning how to make a sythetic growth hormone, scientists had to remove it painstakingly
E) learning how to synthesize the growth hormone, it had to be painstakingly removed by scientists
Synthetic means artificial.
In A, B and D, it seems to refer to a synthetic growth hormone, implying that an ARTIFICIAL hormone was removed from the glands of HUMAN cadavers.
Not the intended meaning. Eliminate A, B and D.

In E, learning seems to modify it, conveying a nonsensical meaning. The intended meaning is that SCIENTISTS were learning how to synthesize the growth hormone. Eliminate E.

The correct answer is C.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3