Number properties problem

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Number properties problem

by ChessWriter » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:36 am

This is one of the question from the Manhattan guide to Number properties

I do not understand the explanation they have provided.

The way I solved the problem was to set (x-4)=(4-x), to reach the conclusion that x=4 is one solution.
On setting -(x-4)=4-x, we get no solution because both sides cancel each other out.

However, in the Manhattan guide they have provided the answer to be x≤4. On plugging it into the equation |x-4|=4-x, we do find it to be the correct answer, but I still don't understand the way they reached this answer.

Can anyone please help me with this

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:04 pm
ChessWriter wrote:Image

The way I solved the problem was to set (x-4)=(4-x), to reach the conclusion that x=4 is one solution.
On setting -(x-4)=4-x, we get no solution because both sides cancel each other out.

However, in the Manhattan guide they have provided the answer to be x≤4. On plugging it into the equation |x-4|=4-x, we do find it to be the correct answer, but I still don't understand the way they reached this answer.

For what values of x does |x-4| = 4-x?

4-x is the DIFFERENCE between 4 and x.
A DIFFERENCE can be negative, 0, or positive.

|x-4| is the DISTANCE between x and 4.
A DISTANCE must be greater than or equal to 0.

For the DIFFERENCE between two values to be equal the DISTANCE between the two values, the DIFFERENCE -- like the DISTANCE -- must be greater than or equal to 0:
4-x ≥0
4 ≥ x.

Thus, |x-4| = 4-x when x≤4.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by ChessWriter » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:17 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:
ChessWriter wrote:Image

For what values of x does |x-4| = 4-x?

4-x is the DIFFERENCE between 4 and x.
A DIFFERENCE can be negative, 0, or positive.

|x-4| is the DISTANCE between x and 4.
A DISTANCE must be greater than or equal to 0.

For the DIFFERENCE between two values to be equal the DISTANCE between the two values, the DIFFERENCE -- like the DISTANCE -- must be greater than or equal to 0:
4-x ≥0
4 ≥ x.

Thus, |x-4| = 4-x when x≤4.

Thank you Mitch. That was a nice conceptual explanation to the problem. However, is there a way to solve this problem algebraically rather than conceptually?