Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:730

Kindly evaluate my profile please.

by Prajwal » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:53 pm
Dear admissions consultant,
I am a doctor from India with an MBBS degree which is equivalent to
an MD from the US.
I have just graduated a month ago.
Have given my 1st GMAT a few days ago and i got a score of 730. Q49 V40.
96 percentile.
I can build on work experience in the next couple of years.
I am also confident of some strong letters of recommendation and some good essays.
However, my GPA in med school has been extremely low.In fact i have had a few back
logs as well. In India, especially in the med schools, we do not calculate GPA.
But if i have to be honest, i would say that i am in the bottom 25 percentile
of my class.
However, i have had reasonably good scores throughout high school....i am placed
comfortably above the 75th percentile.
The only honest reason for my utterly poor performance in med schools is that i was
least interested in the course and was very lazy.
However, i am very interested in starting my own business some time in the future.
I am very inclined towards getting an mba in management or entrepreneurship or finance
from the best B-schools in US.
I am also a permanent resident of the US so i wont have any visa problem.
I am only concerned about getting into Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Chicago Booth or Oxford.
I feel that though my Gmat score is just above the median score of these schools, being an
indian male would work against me.I have heard that many Indians, depsite scores of 740 &
750 still get rejected from these premium schools due to over representation.
I was wondering if you could tell me what my chances are.(taking into account also my low med school
scores.)
Also, i am seriously considering giving my gmat again. I am very confident that i will get
a 750 or 760 the second time(at the minimum).However i am worried if those who evaluate applications to these schools would frown on more than one attempt on the gmat.In case they dont mind a second attempt, would they know that i got a reasonably good score in my first attempt or will they just look at the highest of the two.

Kindly advise on how i should proceed.
Will be waiting for your reply.Thank you.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:01 am
Prajwal,

Your GMAT score is strong enough, and I would not recommend taking the test again. Once your GMAT score is at a certain level, admissions teams focus on other areas of your application.

Understand that business schools are looking to cultivate future leaders, so any leadership and management experience you can discuss is important. Look to get involved in an area where you can make an impact.

I also recommend you read this case study of a candidate with a low GPA: https://www.stacyblackman.com/comprehens ... ies/case5/

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:730

by Prajwal » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:03 am
Hi,
Thank you for the reply Stacy.I have read through the case study for which you had provided the link.
I feel uncomfortable thinking that being an indian male, i might be in an over represented bracket as far as gmat score is concerned.However i cannot do anything else with my GPA, so i think i work on some really good and relevant work experience in the next 2-3 yrs.
Thank you for all the information.That was very helpful.

Prajwal.S