HBS 2+2 Career Goal

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:760

HBS 2+2 Career Goal

by rg123 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:58 pm
I'm a senior undergraduate at an IIT applying to HBS 2+2 in Round 3. My post MBA goal is to get into venture capital especially in the high-technology sector in India. I have a full-time offer from a BB Investment Bank (from my internship), but am unsure whether to really mention it in my application, since it does not exactly fit in with my future career goals (I was on the quant trading desk - not a profile that could be of help in VC).

How important is it really to mention what you intend to do in the 2 years before HBS? Also, is it negative if it doesn't fit in with your long-term story (although many other things in your profile fit perfectly?).

Thanks.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:31 pm
Hi rg123,

This is a complex question that is probably more easily hashed out live in conversation. However, I will do my best to distill this into simple simple thoughts:

Career goals are always important because you need to show that have you a reason for applying. Why do you want to be at HBS? Why does the program make sense for you?

There are many things that you can gain from work experience that contribute to a career path OUTSIDE of directly applicable business skills. For example, perhaps there was something about your internship that exposed you to the investing world and triggered your interest. Maybe you developed a pure love of numbers. Perhaps you analyzed something that made you want to stretch your analytical skills. Perhaps it was working with others, supporting others, refining communication skills... You gained something in your internship and some part of that must be valuable when looking at your next steps. It does not need to be a VC specific skill.

If you're interested, we provide free 30 minute phone consultations here: https://www.stacyblackman.com/contact/

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me