Harvard 2 + 2 program admissions chances?

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:700

Harvard 2 + 2 program admissions chances?

by aikomidori » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:23 am
Asian Female
Bachelors: Biochemistry
Masters: Financial Engineering
**doing both at the same time in 4 years

Undergrad GPA: 3.8
Grad GPA: 3.93
GMAT: 700 <-- I'm not going to retake this for the 2 + 2 program

Internships:
- freshman year: science undergraduate research (did science research for three years and got a PUBLISHED SCIENTIFIC paper out of it Very Happy)
- sophomore year: family problems so didn't do much
- junior year: tech summer internship at JP Morgan and part-time internship as an actuary during the school year.

Clubs:
- president of organic restaurant
- student newspaper
- co-founder of educational site
- hospital volunteering (2 years)

Entrepreneurial dabblings:
- started paper editing service from scratch (at peak, it made $500 per week)

Awards:
- standard dean's lists, writing awards, etc...

Reason for joining 2 + 2:
I am really interested in venture capital for healthcare startups in third world countries/disadvantaged regions of the US; however, to get into venture capital you need to know people and being able to tap into Harvard's alumni and get concrete knowledge about starting a business is why I want to get the MBA ==> is this a solid reason?

I'm not sure how to evaluate myself since a lot of folks who post these threads are usually finance majors with IB internships ==> neither of which is something I have. I'm also not from a top ivy school and I'm female but asian so I don't know how much that helps...

Thanks for all your help!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:24 pm
Hi aikomidori,

Thanks for posting. Your reasoning for pursuing Harvard Business School is clear, although if you have any personal experience, either working with or in a 3rd world country, or working in Venture Capital, your reasoning would be strengthened.

I recommend you read this case study of a college senior applicant who was accepted into Harvard Business School:

https://www.stacyblackman.com/2011/07/14 ... applicant/

Do not be concerned about the number of finance and investment banking candidates. Business schools are looking for diversity and for candidates with a variety of backgrounds.

If you are interested, we provide free 30 minute phone consultations here: https://www.stacyblackman.com/contact/

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me