Changes to GMAT - Writing GMAT end of Feb 2012

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
Hi All,

I have been preparing for GMAT using Official Guide 12th edition and Manhattan SC Guide and their tests. Apart from that I am also using LSAT RC material. I am planning to write my GMAT end of Feb 2012.

What changes can I expect in the test before end of Feb 2012? I am told the GMAT format is changing only after June 2012.
From the forums I gather that the tests recently have more SC questions based on the meaning of the sentence - two answer options might be grammatically correct and one of the answer choices has the correct meaning.

1. What are the new question types I can expect in any of the sections?
2. What all *NEW* topics that I should cover if I am giving my exam end of February 2012?

Appreciate your help here. Also if there is already a discussion on this and if you could point me to any link that would be helpful.

Cheers
Gmatrant
A kudos or thanks would do great if my answer has helped you :)

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:49 am
(1) You won't see any new question types for your exam in Feb 2012. The new section (replacing one of the AWA sections) is set for June

(2) The 'meaning' SC questions are not new, so you don't have to prepare for new questions. Quite simply idioms are less of a focus. A good way to think about these 'meaning' SC questions is to identify the subject and main points of the sentence. You want this information to be clear and often near the front of the sentence to avoid ambiguity and confusion. Get the subject of the sentence out early.

Hope this helps.
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:12 pm
Jim is right, nothing actually NEW in any of the areas until June. Even after June it is only the Integrated Reasoning taking over part of the AWA. The sections that combine to give you that 200-800 stay the same.

In terms of an emphasis on meaning...I really do not like this phrase that I have seen before that is quoted in your post above
two answer options might be grammatically correct and one of the answer choices has the correct meaning.
This is not quite the way to put it. You see, logic has always been a part of sentence correction. Logic is the basis for the entire GMAT.

So how does logic work in Sentence Correction? Like this, as you are evaluating grammar, so you should also be looking to make sure that everything is logical as well. A misplaced modifier is not usually grammatically misplaced, it is usually LOGICALLY misplaced. The modifier implies that the dog drove the car to the store instead of the person. The modifier refers to the music as the color red (yes I understand metaphor but Sentence Correction does not).

Verb tense is also more of a logical meaning area as opposed to pure grammar. Which event is intended to be first, which one comes later.

If you think about comparisons these are also in the area of Logic. Are you comparing a person to a glass of water? not usually appropriate.

So you see it is not usually some vague quest for the ideal meaning where two answer choices are otherwise perfect but one of them claims that there were 6 members of the Beatles or something. It is LOGIC you should really be thinking of. As long as an answer choice is logically and grammatically correct it should be the one and only correct answer.

As to idioms, these are considered culturally biased and have been phased out over the past few years, although as GMAC says some few idioms will always remain.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:255 members
GMAT Score:750

by Brian@VeritasPrep » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:49 pm
Great stuff in this thread! And since I've been discussing this a lot lately with students and instructors, let me just tack on a few things:

1) Regarding "idioms", "correct meaning", and "logical meaning" - the danger to me is that the word "idiom" is just too broad and counterproductive to study. Some of you WILL see:

if vs. whether
center on vs. center around
and a few other "idioms" like that

But there's a reason for those...they're meaning-based, not "that's just how you say it, no rhyme or reason" based. There's a problem with:

I have to decide if I'm going to Stanford.

Because that means "If I'm going to Stanford, I need to decide. If I'm not going to Stanford, I don't need to decide". That raises the question of "will I decide?" not "will I go to Stanford?". It's meaning-based...the above is just an unclear/illogical meaning.

Similarly, the center of a circle is a terminal point at the middle. The center isn't "around" anything. It's right *on* the middle.

Those expressions you can reason your way out of. It's the idiomatic "you either know it or you don't" stuff that's been phased out as the true Decision Points.

And just since you asked about Integrated Reasoning (I just got out of a meeting discussing our draft lesson for IR...coming soon!). For those studying IR, the big takeaway is that the bulk of the skills are not "new". The word "integrated" really just signifies that that section will test you on some math skills and some "verbal" (really logic, from CR and RC) skills. Most of that section will deal with your abilities to:

-draw conclusions
-make efficient calculations and estimates
-interpret wording in word problems
-identify faulty arguments

The main "new" content area will be understanding different types of graphs and graphical representations of data ("Graphics Interpretation" is one of the four question types). And the other major skill that I'd say is both "new" and crucial is that of sorting data tables to make your processing of information that much faster.

If you're interested in a preview with some explanations and strategies, I'd suggest checking out:

https://www.veritasprep.com/gmat/integra ... questions/
Brian Galvin
GMAT Instructor
Chief Academic Officer
Veritas Prep

Looking for GMAT practice questions? Try out the Veritas Prep Question Bank. Learn More.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:03 am
i received a pm regarding this thread.
gmatrant wrote:From the forums I gather that the tests recently have more SC questions based on the meaning of the sentence - two answer options might be grammatically correct and one of the answer choices has the correct meaning.
it's true that there will be questions based on meaning, but that has always been true. in fact, most grammar doesn't even exist without an intended meaning -- that is, it's actually impossible to tell whether most grammatical elements are "correct" until an intended meaning is established.

if you don't understand, step back and try to answer the following question:
what IS grammar?
if you really think about this question, you should come up with an answer that's something like "grammar is a system of rules designed to make language convey intended meaning more accurately." because that's what it is. without an intended meaning, grammar doesn't even exist.

here's an analogy that might resonate with many here, since i know there are a lot of programmers here.
imagine a bit of code in a video game. this bit of code makes one of the characters jump.
is this code correct?
... obviously, this question has no answer, until you first settle the issue of "what is the character supposed to do?" if the character should jump -- if that's the intention of the game designer -- then the code is correct. if the character is actually supposed to do something else, then the code is wrong, even though it's functional.

grammar works exactly the same way. if you try to evaluate grammar with meaning, it's like trying to evaluate code without knowing what the code is supposed to do!
sure, you'll have some instances in which things are still objectively wrong (it's possible for code to be non-executable, and there are constructions that are grammatically wrong for objective reasons). but, just as often (much more often in the case of grammar), these things are wrong because they do something, but not the right thing.

read more here:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/companies-in ... tml#367679

if you are taking the test this month (or at any time before june), then essentially nothing should be different.

-----
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:04 am
regarding the IR section --

i know that people are going to have lots to say about that section -- and i know that companies, including ours, will publish materials on it (because, well, we know that people will buy them; we are, after all, businesses that have to sell things) -- but here's the most important thing i can say about the IR section.
the most important thing i can say about the IR section is:
you shouldn't really worry about the IR section, unless you are not going to apply to business school for a few years.

let's look at the facts:
* there will be data for this section, but the data will not be meaningfully calibrated (or statistically significant) for some period of time.
* so, basically, this section is nothing but a giant experiment for the first few months, maybe even the first year or two, of its existence.
* the next couple of b-school admissions pools will have lots of people whose gmat scores include the new section, and lots of people whose scores don't.
* in order to make equitable comparisons among these students, the schools are basically going to have to -- you guessed it -- ignore the IR section, since a huge chunk of applicants won't even have taken it.

from these facts, i think it's safe to conclude that schools simply won't use the IR data -- at all -- in making admissions decisions for at least a couple of years. they'll use the data to start ... well ... analyzing data, but, given the above observations, i think it's pretty clear that the IR section is not going to have any nontrivial significance for anyone applying to the fall 2013 full-time programs (and, most likely, not much significance for fall 2014 applicants, either).

will people still stress over this section? yes. will people still ignore everything i'm writing here and study for it with a maniacal passion? yes.
but, the best thing i can say about the IR section is that you should just not worry about it. concentrate on the stuff that actually matters.

if you are going to apply for fall 2015 or later, the story may be different by then -- but that's a decision to make then, not now.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron