Non-traditional question; after-work study - mng consultant

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Thank you for your time and consideration for my question!

In very few words, I have graduate this year from an Eastern European University and I am working full time as a management consultant. I intend to work in consulting for a few years and then pursue an MBA degree so I can leverage my experience to start and develop my own business.

In the mean time, however, I would be interested in pursuing the Masters of Liberal Arts degree from Harvard Extension School, concentrating in Government. I would like this mainly for the actual learning experience and that I am quite passionate about public policies, government etc and the program could allow me to take online classes in the evening, apart from my professional activities. (although I'll be required to spend 2 terms in campus, most likely at the Summer School for visa reasons)

My question is how would Admission Committees see this experience when I decide to apply for my MBA? Would this help? Would this hurt?

Some other background key info : GMAT 740 (although I will probably retake it, as I fell confided I can score higher), extensive student leadership experience during undergrad, teaching assistant and research experience during undergrad, 2 internships at leading industry and consulting firms during undergrad.

Any input would be more than appreciated.

Thank you for your time!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:31 pm
Hi vasilache,

This would neither hurt nor help your application, however it will be important that you address how this program will play a role in your future career.

When MBA applicants earn a higher degree in another discipline, the first question an MBA admissions committee will ask is: why an MBA in addition to this degree? Why do you need both in relation to your goals? It will be important to address this.

Best,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me