CR TC 48 Q12

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

CR TC 48 Q12

by SmarpanGamt » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:14 am
A public-service advertisement advises that people who have consumed alcohol should not drive until they can do so safely. In a hospital study, however, subjects questioned immediately after they consumed alcohol underestimated the time necessary to regain their driving ability. This result indicates that many people who drink before driving will have difficulty following the advertisement's advice.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the argument above?

(A) Many people, if they plan to drink alcohol, make arrangements beforehand for a nondrinker to drive them home.
(B) The subjects in the hospital study generally rated their abilities more conservatively than would people drinking alcohol outside a hospital setting.
(C) Some people refrain from drinking if they will have to drive to get home afterward.
(D) The subjects in the hospital study were also questioned about the time necessary to regain abilities that do not play an important role in driving safely.
(E) Awareness of the public-service advertisement is higher among the general population than it was among the subjects in the hospital study.

Please explain each of the choices OA Later

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:780

by Dani@MasterGMAT » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:54 am
Answer should be B - the key is to use numerical examples to clarify to yourself what the answer choices really mean. See my explanation below.
SmarpanGamt wrote:A public-service advertisement advises that people who have consumed alcohol should not drive until they can do so safely. In a hospital study, however, subjects questioned immediately after they consumed alcohol underestimated the time necessary to regain their driving ability. This result indicates that many people who drink before driving will have difficulty following the advertisement's advice.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the argument above?

Premises:
1) Advice: people who drink should not drive until they can safely do so.
2) people in a hostpital study underestimate the time needed to regain ability (e.g. they think they can drive 5 minutes after drinking when in fact they need three hours.)
Conclusion:
drinkers will have difficulty following the advice.
Translate and think about the reasoning of the argument: if people underestimate the time they need to regain ability, they will drive before they can safely do so - before the three hours have passed.

You need to strengthen this: find an answer choice which further proves that people who drink drive before it is safe for them to do so.

(A) Many people, if they plan to drink alcohol, make arrangements beforehand for a nondrinker to drive them home.
This indicates the opposite - that people who drink will NOT drive, but be driven home by a non-drinker.
(B) The subjects in the hospital study generally rated their abilities more conservatively than would people drinking alcohol outside a hospital setting.
This requires some taking apart- what does it mean "to rate your abilities more conservatively?" It means that if I'm asked in a hospital how long I need to wait before I can drive, I'll be more conservative about my ability then if asked outside. Outside, I'm superman - I can drive as little as 2 minutes after drinking. If asked in a hospital, I'll be more conservative - I'll allow myself 5 minutes before I think I can drive.
Basically, B says that the reality is even worse than the survey indicates. The survey already indicates that people underestimate the time they need to wait before driving, but because the survey was taken in the specific setting of a hospital,it does not reflect reality - outside, people will underestimate the time they need to wait even more (I'm a superhero!).
(C) Some people refrain from drinking if they will have to drive to get home afterward.
Same as A - this indicates that people play it safe, not drink drive.
(D) The subjects in the hospital study were also questioned about the time necessary to regain abilities that do not play an important role in driving safely.
It's the only trap answer choice, because it is not clear what it actually means. But at the end of the day, This has no bearing on whether people will drink-drive or not - it doesn't tell me if people will have more trouble following the sound advice of the advertisement.
(E) Awareness of the public-service advertisement is higher among the general population than it was among the subjects in the hospital study.
This is irrelevant - whether people are aware of the advertisement or not has nothing to do with the argument's reasoning that people drive too soon after drinking because they underestimate the time they need to wait.

Please explain each of the choices OA Later
Dr. Dani Noy
Senior Instructor
Master GMAT
1-888-780-GMAT
https://www.mastergmat.com

by SmarpanGamt » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:29 am
Dani@

Thank you Dani what an explaination : Basically I was confused with the word underestimate and conservatively.

beside in 1:45 min I couldn't make it. that is what more distrubing

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by srt420 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:45 pm
The second sentence( "In a hospital study, however, subjects questioned immediately after they consumed alcohol underestimated the time necessary to regain their driving ability") ... makes the question tough to understand.

by ArunangsuSahu » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:10 pm
Let's deconstruct the whole thing
P1: Pub Svc Adv: People who have consumed alcohol should not drive until they can do so [color=green]safely[/color]
P2: Subjects Under study in the Hospital [color=darkblue]UNDERESTIMATED [/color]the time to Regain ability to drive safely.
Result: Many people will start driving still when they were drunk(not regained normalcy)

The word "UNDERESTIMATED" need to be supported

(B) tells people outside the hospital study indicated greater amount of time required to come back to normalcy after consumed alcohol as compared to the persons studied in the hospital

SO CORRECT