Difficult CR - conflicting options

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

Difficult CR - conflicting options

by vikram4689 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:13 am
The purpose of the proposed law requiring a doctor's prescription for obtaining hypodermic needles is to lower the incidence of drug-related deaths, both accidental and intentional, involving hypodermic needles. But even knitting needles can be lethal if they fall into the wrong hands; yet everyone would agree that imposing legal restrictions on obtaining knitting needles would be preposterous. Hence the proposed law involving hypodermic makes no sense and should not be enacted.

Which of the following, it true, would provide most support for the argument above?

(A) Knitting needles have been known to cause injury and death.
(B) The benefits of hypodermic needles outweigh those of knitting needles.
(C) The proposed law would not deter the sort of activity known to result in drug-related deaths.
(D) The proposed law could not be effectively enforced.
(E) Knitting needles are not readily available to anybody who wants to obtain them.

[spoiler]Confused b/w A & C[/spoiler]
@David can you please explain this
Premise: If you like my post
Conclusion : Press the Thanks Button ;)

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:365 members

by VivianKerr » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:37 am
Conclusion: Law is bad.

Evidence: Likens hypo needles to knitting needles.

Assumption: Hypo needles could fall into wrong hands (like knitting needles) even with a doctor's prescription.

Question: What would support?

Prediction: Anything that continues to justify the link between knitting needles & hypo needles -- they are dangerous even w/ mandatory prescription.

The answer is A. This strengthens the author's reasoning that "even knitting needles can be lethal."
Vivian Kerr
GMAT Rockstar, Tutor
https://www.GMATrockstar.com
https://www.yelp.com/biz/gmat-rockstar-los-angeles

Former Kaplan and Grockit instructor, freelance GMAT content creator, now offering affordable, effective, Skype-tutoring for the GMAT at $150/hr. Contact: [email protected]

Thank you for all the "thanks" and "follows"! :-)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by golu23 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:31 am
Hi Vivian could u please explain why "B" is not an ans choice

Legendary Member

by vikram4689 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:46 pm
Hi golu23,

Argument is based on the premise that KN are similar to HN and since you cannot ban KN, banning HN would not serve purpose.
Now we have to support the argument. in essence so we have to say that KN can do whatever HN could do so that conclusion is strengthened. B does not serve the purpose as it only says that HN can do some activities that KN cannot do.

(A) Knitting needles have been known to cause injury and death. - MOST support
(B) The benefits of hypodermic needles outweigh those of knitting needles. conclusion not strengthened
(C) The proposed law would not deter the sort of activity known to result in drug-related deaths. that is a later issue, our concern is whether law should be passed
(D) The proposed law could not be effectively enforced. that is a later issue, our concern is whether law should be passed
(E) Knitting needles are not readily available to anybody who wants to obtain them. no effect on conclusion
Last edited by vikram4689 on Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member

by vikram4689 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:49 pm
Vivian,
Reason i was initially confused b/w A & C was that A, although best out of 5, does not seem a good choice.
(A) Knitting needles have been known to cause injury and death
Our concern is drug related deaths due to needles whereas injury and death (what A states) might be due to some other reason as well.
Better option could have been "Knitting needles have been known to cause drug-related-deaths"

But at the same time i agree that we need to chose best option out of 5, so A wins here.

Do you think my thought process was correct ..

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:37 pm
Got a PM on this one...

Vikram -

Sorry I did not see this one earlier. I agree with Vivian.

I agree that A is not a very good answer choice but that the others have no chance.

I wonder what the source is of this one? Appears to be something called "Mastering the GMAT" e-book?

I agree that they discuss lowering the incidence of "drug-related deaths." It does not say that the goal is to reduce deaths in general. Perhaps we do not care how many people die, so long as it is not from drugs.

So this is not a great question - in my opinion.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course