Work Experience Evaluation Please

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Work Experience Evaluation Please

by Derek_sie » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:49 pm
Hello,

My question is about the type of work experience a school like Columbia is looking for. I am currently working as a financial analyst at a boutique firm and while I have learned a great deal about finance and would not mind working my way up to bigger things in the industry, I am afraid a top school would look at my application and not see "big career accomplishments" and brush it aside or throw it on a stack with 1,000 other analysts that applied. On the other hand, I have the opportunity to work in real estate development with my family, and immediately be thrown into big projects like developing a regional shopping center. My goal in that case would be to use the MBA to add to my skills to grow the company. My one concern with that is the school seeing that I just worked with family and not take it seriously.

I was looking to apply for 2014. Assuming a 3.7 GPA (University of South Florida), a 700 GMAT, and community involvement how do you think schools would look at the application?

Thanks,

Derek

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:33 am
Dear Derek,

There is no preferred industry or functional experience at any school. What matters is the quality of the experience you have and how you have progressed in your career. If you feel your current role is not providing growth opportunities and will not prepare you for your future career path, then perhaps it is time to make a change. Joining a family business is not a negative; in fact, it can be beneficial to you if you intend to work in the company or the industry long-term. Many folks who work in family-owned businesses successfully apply to top business schools every year. The key is to make sure your role in the business is professional, allows you to contribute/add value, provides growth, and puts you on the path towards your future goals. Likewise, you will want to select recommenders from the business carefully, as you cannot ask a family member (perhaps a vendor, client or co-worker?). Think about your career, where you want it to go, and then what is the best route to get there.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me