Nervous about Stern Part Time MBA Admission

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Nervous about Stern Part Time MBA Admission

by missgg » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:27 am
Hi there,

I am studying GMAT to get into Stern Part-time MBA program for Fall 2012. But I am nervous that I might not have enough qualification to get in. What do you think my chances are to get in? I know they like people who worked in Finance with good school background.... If I get over 700 in GMAT, do you think I might have a chance? My background is below.

- GPA 2.73 in Computer Science from one of the SUNY upstate schools
- 6 years of experience in IT support
- Applying for Entrepreneurship major

Thanks so much for reading and look forward to your thoughts! :-)

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:12 am
Dear missgg,

It is hard to comment on your chances as an admissions decision is made on more than GMAT, GPA and years of experience. With your GPA, scoring well on the GMAT is important to show you have the academic aptitude for the curriculum. There is not preferred industry experience at NYU; the school just receives a large number of highly qualified applicants from finance due to its location. For the part-time program, your professional track record is also critical; you want to show progression in scope and that you have gained breadth/depth of knowledge and skills in your industry. Likewise, you want to show how your current experience plus the MBA will propel you towards your future career goals. I highly encourage you to visit NYU if you haven't already, meet with an admissions professional, attend a class, etc. I think you will find it beneficial in assessing your profile and determining how to best position your background in your application.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me