The GMAT just tore me a new bunghole!!!!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

The GMAT just tore me a new bunghole!!!!

by skang357 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:43 pm
So I took the second test today from Pearson...

I did all of the OG Verbal and Quantitative Review and the 11th edition OG Guide.

But I never took one full practice test.

When I took the GMAT today, I ran out of time on the Q answering only 25 out of 37 questions.

On the V, I ran out of time on my 36th question out of 41.

My score: a pathetic 570!!!

What am I supposed to do now???

I have to rescind my application as I am at least a full 100 points below the average GMAT for that school. Also my college GPA is below 2.5 although it is a top Ivy.

I feel like everything I did so far in life has been a fluke and I am total one hit wonder.

I need to get at least a 700 the next time I take this test.

The concern now is that I will have to wait till next year to apply again, which I will be four years older than the average applicant by then (34 in August 09), and now I have already taken 2 exams and am nearing the point where I have taken too many GMATs.

What am I supposed to do now???

Can someone please help me??? I am dying over here....

Help a poor guy out. Please.
Last edited by skang357 on Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Impossible is nothing

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:614 members
GMAT Score:800

by Stuart@KaplanGMAT » Thu May 01, 2008 9:57 am
The simple answer is that you need to prepare a lot better for your next go.

At Kaplan we talk about the 3 "C"s of test preparation:

Content
Critical Thinking
Crisis Prevention

Based on your post, it seems as though you spent all of your time on the first "C", content. Doing so will NOT let you hit your top score.

Without doing any full length GMATs, you set yourself up to fail. I'm really not surprised that you had big timing problems (the biggest crisis faced by GMAT takers), given that you never practiced under timed conditions. How could you possibly know how to allot your time on test day if you had never done so in the past?

You need to set a target date to rewrite the test and plan a detailed study schedule to get you there. Here are a couple of questions to ask yourself (and some possible answers):

Will a prep course benefit me?

Well, how long has it been since you followed a study regimen? One huge advantage of the Kaplan course is that you get a detailed course syllabus which guides you to what to do at every step of your preparation. You don't have to spend time figuring out what's relevant, let a company with 60+ years of test prep expertise and that spends millions of dollars on R&D every year do the scut work for you.

With what do I need the most help?

If it is content, then start your prep with a solid math/grammar review. If you're comfortable with the content, but have trouble understanding it in the context of GMAT questions, then start with a LOT of untimed practice, to make sure that you master the individual question types. If timing/test format is your biggest issue, then do a lot of timed practice and full-length practice CATs.

Stuart Kovinsky | Kaplan GMAT Faculty | Toronto

Kaplan Exclusive: The Official Test Day Experience | Ready to Take a Free Practice Test? | Kaplan/Beat the GMAT Member Discount
BTG100 for $100 off a full course

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by black_cat » Thu May 01, 2008 3:01 pm
Well, first of all, don't panic. Put things in perspective. I took the GMAT in early April and scored a 540. And that was with 8+ weeks of intense studying!!! I have never been good at standardized tests, but I tried my best. I really thought I was doing well on the test, timed it perfectly, but still only got a 540 (a 6.0 on the AWA).

That being said, I just got accepted into my first-choice part-time program for fall 2008. Yipee!!!! I have one other application at another school awaiting a decision. There's no way I was taking the exam again, because I refuse to throw my hard-earned money away. I'm not interested in increasing Pearson's earnings and that's what a lot of test re-takers are doing.

I am a 38-year-old female with 15+ years of work experience (including substantial leadership experience), excellent essays, a 3.4 GPA (although low grades on the few math classes I took) and strong recommendations. Other parts of your application DO count. Don't give up!

I'm on my way to B-school and the GMAT didn't stop me! :D

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by brontobuffy » Thu May 15, 2008 11:47 am
i have read that not answering questions severly lowers your score by default. I think if you learn to manage your time you're score will go up by more than you think if you can get through all the questions :D