Polio vaccine

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:680

Polio vaccine

by sam2304 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:35 am
Dr. Hegsted argues that just as polio vaccine is given to every person to protect the few who might actually contract polio, mass dietary change is needed to protect the significant number who are susceptible to the life-threatening effects of press eating habits.
(A) just as polio vaccine is given to every person to protect the few who might actually contract polio
(B) like polio vaccine, which is given to every person to protect the few who might contract polio
(C) similar to polio vaccine which is given to every person to protect the few who might actually contract polio
(D) while, to protect the few who might actually contract polio, polio vaccine is given to every person
(E) similar to the giving of polio vaccine to every person in order to protect the few who might contract polio actually

OA after discussion.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.
https://gmatandbeyond.blogspot.in/

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:700

by pradeepsarathy » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:21 am
OA is B?

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by rohangupta83 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:14 am
imo A

compares two actions - giving of polio vaccines with mass dietary change. Don't think "like" works here as its used to compare only nouns

Although I am not 100% sure about A as the idiom should be Just as X, so Y (not sure if we can let go of "so")

Legendary Member

by sam2304 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:48 pm
OA : A

@rohangupta83: Can you explain what's wrong with C ? I wasn't too convinced with A - usage of just as X, so Y idiom. 'so' is missing as pointed out by you.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Legendary Member
Followed by:32 members
GMAT Score:760

by avik.ch » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:24 pm
sam2304 wrote:OA : A

@rohangupta83: Can you explain what's wrong with C ? I wasn't too convinced with A - usage of just as X, so Y idiom. 'so' is missing as pointed out by you.
Hii sam,

Here "which" is incorrectly used . "Which" is always used after a comma as it is always used for a non essential modifier. Moreover here we cannot use make - " is given to every person" an non essential modifier. In this case the comparison issue with the non underline portion does not hold.

Polio vaccine is given...............mass dietary change is needed ( action vs action)

Legendary Member

by sam2304 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:23 pm
I know that C lacks parallelism and its a bad construction, but A is not idiomatic

As said by rohangupta Just as X, so Y is the right idiom - so is missing in A. I was skeptical about it and went for C.

Check out this link for similar question with just as X, so Y idiom usage, its a gmatprep question

https://gmatclub.com/forum/just-like-the ... 79021.html

All i need to know is whether A has a proper structure because am not sure of the source which i believe to be old paper based test questions :)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by shekhar.kataria » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:36 pm
In the expression Just as..., so.... the word so is optional.

Restlessness and discontent are the first necessities of progress.--Thomas A. Edison

If you find this post helpful, let me know by clicking thanks above :-)

Legendary Member

by rohangupta83 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:20 am
shekhar.kataria wrote:In the expression Just as..., so.... the word so is optional.

Hi Shekhar,

is "so" in Just as X, so Y always optional ?

Legendary Member

by rohangupta83 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:24 am

Hi Sam

2 issues with C

As Avik pointed out - which is commonly used with a comma as a non-essential modifier.

Secondly, if we do use which, we lose out on parallelism - polio vaccine is given......mass dietary change is needed

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members

by patanjali.purpose » Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:34 am
sam2304 wrote:Dr. Hegsted argues that just as polio vaccine is given to every person to protect the few who might actually contract polio, mass dietary change is needed to protect the significant number who are susceptible to the life-threatening effects of press eating habits.
(C) similar to polio vaccine which is given to every person to protect the few who might actually contract polio
IMO Problem in C is that of comparison between comparable things. Lets see how:

(C) Polio vaccine which is given to every person to protect the few who might actually contract polio, mass dietary change is needed

Polio vaccine is followed by relative clause (which...few). This clause is followed by another relative clause (who might..polio). Therefore the structure we have is
"Polio vaccine [clause {cluase}], mass dietary change...". Now we can clearly see the sentence is comparing POLIO VACCINE with MASS DIETARY CHANGE.

IMO these 2 elements are not comparable. This problem is not there in original sentence in which we are comparing the WHY POLIO VACCINE is given to every person with WHY MASS DIETARY CHANGE is needed.

Legendary Member

by sam2304 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:55 am
Thanks rohangupta, avik and patanjali. Found experts' explanation in manhattan forums as well.

@patanjali: You were pointing out the same i guess.
erpriyankabishnoi wrote:
What's wrong with choice (c) ?
"similar to" can only be used when two things are actually similar.
e.g.,
similar to the Argentine accent, the Uruguayan accent generally uses a fricative sound for the letters "ll".
--> this sentence is correct, because an uruguayan accent actually *sounds like* an argentine accent -- i.e., they are similar.

the sentence in this thread fails, because mass dietary change is not similar to a polio vaccine (they are completely different and unrelated things). the sentence makes an analogy, but does not make the claim that the 2 things are actually similar to each other.
https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/dr- ... t3605.html

@rohangupta: Our queries answered as well - Just as X, so Y and Just as X, Y - both are idiomatic it seems :)

https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/jus ... t5971.html

Legendary Member
Followed by:32 members
GMAT Score:760

by avik.ch » Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:37 pm
patanjali.purpose wrote:
Polio vaccine is followed by relative clause (which...few). This clause is followed by another relative clause (who might..polio). Therefore the structure we have is
"Polio vaccine [clause {cluase}], mass dietary change...". Now we can clearly see the sentence is comparing POLIO VACCINE with MASS DIETARY CHANGE.
Can you please explain how - "which ... few" is a relative clause here.

As far as I know, "which" acts as a relative pronoun/subordinator only when it is acting as a object of a preposition(of which, in which...). Yes many books and grammarians generally believe that "which" can act as a subordinator even without a preposition but "that" is preferable in that case. I haven't seen such construction with "which" usage in OG SC and RC.

https://www.englishclub.com/grammar/pron ... lative.htm

According to me, in GMAT, "Which" can only follow a comma or be an object of a preposition. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by shekhar.kataria » Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:09 pm
I think Sam has answered your doubt. Yes, Just as X, Y is idiomatic.

rohangupta83 wrote:
shekhar.kataria wrote:In the expression Just as..., so.... the word so is optional.

Hi Shekhar,

is "so" in Just as X, so Y always optional ?
Restlessness and discontent are the first necessities of progress.--Thomas A. Edison

If you find this post helpful, let me know by clicking thanks above :-)