Please evaluate my profile: 660 GMAT, science background

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,
I was wondering if someone can please evaluate my profile. I attempted GMAT twice. In the first attempt, my score was very low (540: Q 47, V 19, AWA 5). I was able to improve it to 660 (Q 47, V34, AWA yet to receive, but should be 5 or above).
I finished my BTech from a very reputed school in Mumbai, India with a GPA of 3/4. I am working on my PhD in US (Univ of Kentucky). During my I have worked as Teaching Assistant and research assistant for more than 6 years, and maintained a GPA of 3.7.
I have been involved in organizations such as CRY and red cross. Apart from that I am currently serving as secretary for an organization that works towards upliftment of poor and downtrodden people in India, and have provable achievements to support my work.
I am from science background. I did my BTech in Chemistry and almost finishing my PhD in Chemistry.
I was wondering if someone can suggest good colleges to apply to. If I had a score more than 700, I would have tried for top 10, but personally I think, those colleges are now out of my reach. Below are a some of the colleges that I sorted out:
1. Kelly School of Business
2. Thunderbird School of Global Management
3. Johns Hopkins - Carey School of Business: This one is because the school is science based, and although a new school, think that they would obtain a really good reputation soon.
4. Olin Business school.
5. University of Texas, Austin
6. University of Florida, Gainsville
7. Rice University
8. Texas a and M
9. Michigan State Unviersity
10.Southern Methodist University

Other than these colleges, I am still looking for more good schools that would probably accept science background students or other good schools applicable for my score range. Are there schools in top 35 that prefer/accept science background students?
Please let me know. I really appreciate it.
Thanks in advance.

Hselin

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:34 pm
Dear Hselin,

MBA programs do not exclude any applicants on the basis of education or experience. As such, your background is acceptable to any. However, you will need to address why you need an MBA in addition to your other degrees, mainly the PhD, to achieve your career goals. Without a solid rationale for the MBA, the admissions committee will see you as a "degree collector" and assume you do not really know what an MBA is or why you need it. Since you do not appear to have any work experience based on your post, you will also need to explicitly address why the MBA is the next step for you as opposed to working full-time first. The 10 schools you are considering are a mix of reach and reasonable programs for you (more on the former than the latter). It is possible you will be successful at 1 or more with a strong package making a compelling case for your admission, but presenting a solid rationale for the MBA (and the MBA now) in your essays is imperative.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by hselin » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:32 am
Dear Ms. Lisa,
Your feedback was really useful, as it triggered me in the right direction to look for programs in my range.
Today I have a few admits, two of which are Case western and Thunderbird. I am struggling between the two, but leaning more towards case western. But would like your opinion if it is a proper choice. My rationale for case western is based on the location. Cleveland area supports many bio/pharma companies, which probably will give me a good start after MBA. In addition, finance, one of the fields that I am interested in, at case western seems much stronger than at thunderbird. In terms of ranking, thunderbird seems to have an edge, but worried about placement after MBA if I decide to go there.
If you could suggest me in this regard, it would be really helpful.
Thanks.
Hselin