Gerund Modifier

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Gerund Modifier

by BN89 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:56 am
Hey,

I have a question about question 66 in the official guide.

"The 32 species that make up the dolphin family are closely related to whales and in fact include the animal known as the killer whale,which can grow to be 30 feet long and is famous for its aggressive hunting pods."

C) include the animal known as the killer whale, growing up to 30 feet long and being

I figured that the original sentence was grammatically correct, although the "can grow to be" could sound awkward as well according to GMAT logic.
Answer choice C uses the gerund form to modify the noun killer whale, which is also grammatically correct, isn't it?
The right answer to this question is A, but I don't get why C is wrong.

In general when do you have to use a relative clause with which as a modifier and when do you have to use the ing-form as a modifier?

Thanks in advance.

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:680

by sam2304 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:00 pm
Two reasons why C is wrong
Being is problematic.
-ing modifier followed by a comma usually modifies the entire preceding clause. In this case only killer whale should be modified but the 32 species are also modified.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.
https://gmatandbeyond.blogspot.in/

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:650+

by mskgmat » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:47 am
Being signals redundancy in GMAT. When you have other answer choice grammatically correctly "being " is wrong because of redundancy. However,GMAT nowadays have questions with being in correct answer. So careful before eliminating it.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:54 pm
BN89 wrote:Hey,

I have a question about question 66 in the official guide.

"The 32 species that make up the dolphin family are closely related to whales and in fact include the animal known as the killer whale,which can grow to be 30 feet long and is famous for its aggressive hunting pods."

C) include the animal known as the killer whale, growing up to 30 feet long and being

I figured that the original sentence was grammatically correct, although the "can grow to be" could sound awkward as well according to GMAT logic.
Answer choice C uses the gerund form to modify the noun killer whale, which is also grammatically correct, isn't it?
The right answer to this question is A, but I don't get why C is wrong.

In general when do you have to use a relative clause with which as a modifier and when do you have to use the ing-form as a modifier?

Thanks in advance.
In C, growing is not a gerund (a verb functioning as a noun) but a PARTICIPLE (a verb functioning as an adjective).
In the construction COMMA + VERBing, the VERBing should refer to the SUBJECT of the preceding clause.
Hence, C incorrectly implies that the 32 species -- the subject of the preceding clause -- are growing.

I posted an explanation of this SC here:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/modfiers-t83807.html
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3