The computer industry

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

The computer industry

by akhpad » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:10 am
Which of the following best completes the passage below?

The computer industry's estimate that it loses millions of dollars when users illegally copy programs without paying for them is greatly exaggerated. Most of the illegal copying is done by people with no serious interest in the programs. Thus, the loss to the industry is quite small, because _________.

(A) many users who illegally copy programs never find any use for them
(B) most people who illegally copy programs would not purchase them even if purchasing them were the only way to obtain them
(C) even if the computer industry received all the revenue it claims to be losing, it would still be experiencing financial difficulties
(D) the total market value of all illegal copies is low in comparison to the total revenue of the computer industry
(E) the number of programs that are frequently copied illegally is low in comparison to the number of programs available for sale

Can you please explain?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:7 members

by grockit_andrea » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:17 am
The answer here is B. The argument says that most users who copy don't have a "serious interest" in the programs. The implication is that those people would not be purchasing the programs if they actually had to spend money on them; they're only taking advantage of the illegal copying because it's free. If those people wouldn't buy the programs anyway, then the computer industry isn't really losing much money due to copying.
Andrea A.
Grockit Tutor
https://www.grockit.com

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

by akhpad » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:47 am
Thanks

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by yvonne0923 » Thu May 26, 2011 5:07 pm
grockit_andrea wrote:The answer here is B. The argument says that most users who copy don't have a "serious interest" in the programs. The implication is that those people would not be purchasing the programs if they actually had to spend money on them; they're only taking advantage of the illegal copying because it's free. If those people wouldn't buy the programs anyway, then the computer industry isn't really losing much money due to copying.
I am still confusing about the explanation at the back of the O.G book, according to the explanation "the industry's loss due to illegal copying of programs must be evaluated in terms of the sales lost;", what kind of situation is this, can you make a more specific example to explain this? Since from my point of view, illegal copying will make the loss of industry, no matter if these people who illegally copying these programs are interested in them or not.

Thanks.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by melguy » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:06 am
yvonne0923 wrote:
grockit_andrea wrote:The answer here is B. The argument says that most users who copy don't have a "serious interest" in the programs. The implication is that those people would not be purchasing the programs if they actually had to spend money on them; they're only taking advantage of the illegal copying because it's free. If those people wouldn't buy the programs anyway, then the computer industry isn't really losing much money due to copying.
I am still confusing about the explanation at the back of the O.G book, according to the explanation "the industry's loss due to illegal copying of programs must be evaluated in terms of the sales lost;", what kind of situation is this, can you make a more specific example to explain this? Since from my point of view, illegal copying will make the loss of industry, no matter if these people who illegally copying these programs are interested in them or not.

Thanks.
You will find better explanations on Grockit TV and all OG12 videos are free - https://grockit.com/.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:05 am
akhpad wrote:Which of the following best completes the passage below?

The computer industry's estimate that it loses millions of dollars when users illegally copy programs without paying for them is greatly exaggerated. Most of the illegal copying is done by people with no serious interest in the programs. Thus, the loss to the industry is quite small, because _________.

(A) many users who illegally copy programs never find any use for them
(B) most people who illegally copy programs would not purchase them even if purchasing them were the only way to obtain them
(C) even if the computer industry received all the revenue it claims to be losing, it would still be experiencing financial difficulties
(D) the total market value of all illegal copies is low in comparison to the total revenue of the computer industry
(E) the number of programs that are frequently copied illegally is low in comparison to the number of programs available for sale

Can you please explain?

The passage is trying to BREAK THE LINK between ILLEGAL COPYING and LOSING SALES.
The correct answer will show that ILLEGAL COPYING is not connected to LOSING SALES.

(A) many users who illegally copy programs never find any use for them. Out of scope. This answer choice shows that copying is not connected to USE. The argument is not about USE. Eliminate A.

(B) most people who illegally copy programs would not purchase them even if purchasing them were the only way to obtain them. Correct. This answer choice shows that ILLEGAL COPYING is not connected to PURCHASES.

(C) even if the computer industry received all the revenue it claims to be losing, it would still be experiencing financial difficulties. Out of scope. The passage is not about all types of FINANCIAL DIFFICULTIES; it is ONLY about losing SALES. Eliminate C.

(D) the total market value of all illegal copies is low in comparison to the total revenue of the computer industry. Out of scope. The argument is not about the entire computer industry. This answer choice does not break the link between COPYING and SALES. Eliminate D.

E) the number of programs that are frequently copied illegally is low in comparison to the number of programs available for sale. This answer choice changes the scope. The premise is about ALL computer programs that are copied illegally -- not just about those that are FREQUENTLY copied illegally. The conclusion is about the number of programs SOLD -- not just about the number of programs AVAILABLE for sale. Eliminate E.

The correct answer is B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3