CR good question from OG

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

CR good question from OG

by anks17 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:45 am
114. Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the country and have noticed that in those built before 1930 the quality of the original carpentry work is generally superior to that in hotels built afterward. Clearly carpenters working on hotels before 1930 typically worked with more skill, care, and effort than carpenters who have worked on hotels built subsequently.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the guidebook writer's argument?

(A) The quality of original carpentry in hotels is generally far superior to the quality of original carpentry in other structures, such as houses and stores.
(B) Hotels built since 1930 can generally accommodate more guests than those built before 1930.
(C) The materials available to carpenters working before 1930 were not signifi cantly different in quality from the materials available to carpenters working after 1930.
(D) The better the quality of original carpentry in a building, the less likely that building is to fall into disuse and be demolished.
(E) The average length of apprenticeship for carpenters has declined signifi cantly since 1930.

Please explain the correct answer with reasons.
"doesn't matter ver u r...ur destiny depends upon vho u choose 2 b!!!!"

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:6 members

by gunjan1208 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:56 am
IMP D

(A) The quality of original carpentry in hotels is generally far superior to the quality of original carpentry in other structures, such as houses and stores.: How do you say this on the basis stimulus given.Out
(B) Hotels built since 1930 can generally accommodate more guests than those built before 1930. Not relevent
(C) The materials available to carpenters working before 1930 were not signifi cantly different in quality from the materials available to carpenters working after 1930. : Does not help giving the weakness
(D) The better the quality of original carpentry in a building, the less likely that building is to fall into disuse and be demolished. : This is the only choice which helps resolving the issue at hand
(E) The average length of apprenticeship for carpenters has declined signifi cantly since 1930. : Irrelevent....Is nto mentioned anywhere is the stimulus.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by anks17 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:45 pm
but how does the option weakens the conclusion of the argument that "Clearly carpenters working on hotels before 1930 typically worked with more skill, care, and effort than carpenters who have worked on hotels built subsequently" ?
"doesn't matter ver u r...ur destiny depends upon vho u choose 2 b!!!!"

Followed by:5 members

by tuanquang269 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:43 am
anks17 wrote:but how does the option weakens the conclusion of the argument that "Clearly carpenters working on hotels before 1930 typically worked with more skill, care, and effort than carpenters who have worked on hotels built subsequently" ?

(D) The better the quality of original carpentry in a building, the less likely that building is to fall into disuse and be demolished.

This choice means that there are only available building with the superior quality. The worse buildings that were built before 1930 are not available now. (So, the guildbook writer visited unfortunately in the bad buildings that were built after 1930 - although it is not necessary information) Therefore, weaken the argument.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:38 am
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Followed by:2 members

by AbhiJ » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:35 am
anks17 wrote:but how does the option weakens the conclusion of the argument that "Clearly carpenters working on hotels before 1930 typically worked with more skill, care, and effort than carpenters who have worked on hotels built subsequently" ?
Thats what you are supposed to do in a weaknen question attack the conclusion.