Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:730

Visit to Oxbridge

by itheenigma » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:51 am
Hullo,

I'm planning a campus visit to Oxbridge before the schools close for Christmas.
Is anyone else from India planning something similar, or has anyone already done so? Please give me a buzz...

Also, any pointers and opinions on dates and logistics is highly welcome! :)

Cheers!

Legendary Member
Followed by:22 members

by throughmba » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:57 am
Though they are not that difficult to reach as trains are available from central london.

You can have a look at tour packages like this https://goo.gl/FeVKh if you are in your own company.

Enjoy :)
ThroughMBA Consulting
The No. 1 B-School Admission Consulting of U.K. is now the most Affordable.

https://throughmba.com
email : [email protected]

Alex Wilkins
Senior Admission Consultant, ThroughMBA.com
Panelist | MBA Admissions Achievers Meet
Interviewer | MIT Sloan | Former
Management Consultant | McKinsey & Company | Former

"Regardless of who you are or what you have been, You can make what you want to be."

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by sunil_snath » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:28 am
Hi Itheenigma,

I have visited Said before and will be visiting again in the summer before I apply for the class of 2013. If you have any queries, I can try and answer them. I live in the UK btw.

thanks,
Snath

by itheenigma » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:43 am
Snath,

Any specific reason why you didn't visit Judge?

Cheers!

by itheenigma » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:50 am
Phew! Making arrangements for a campus visit isn't as cozy as I had thought! A call to beatthegmatters to help me out on these desperate queries!
>> I'm looking for super quick processing of my UK visa from India. Is hiring an agent (Thomas Cook maybe?) a good idea?
>> Is travel insurance a must in the UK? How to go about it?
>> what's the best way to carry local currency? Get myself some Thomas Cook/AMEX travelers cheques or do I purchase some GBP forex from India itself? Any other ideas?
>> Both schools (Ox/bridge) are taking time to respond to my request for campus visit. I'm guessing it's because of the peak application season. If I send them a gentle reminder to take a look at my case, how will it be perceived by the school? [I'm really hoping for an answer from them soon, because I can't process my visa without a letter of invitation from them :(]

Cheers!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by sunil_snath » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:38 am
Hi itheenigma,

1.UK visas are processed by VFS, so I thought they would be quick. Both my wife and I have been through VFS and we got it in a week (not visitor visas though)
2.I think you will need a travel insurance for applying for a visa. If not (check UK visa website) dont bother taking it.
3. I took travellers cheques when I came to UK for the first time. Its not necessary but it gives that sense of comfort knowing that its safe. You could also use a credit card as most establishments here take them. Check with you bank if you have one on charges.
4. IMO the best way to experience the school would be on one of the open days. Schools would be better prepared to recieve you. The next oxbridge one is on 18th Nov and i dont see any other open days on their website. No problem in reminding them IMO. Hey, you are making the trip all the way from India just to visit them, so they should be happy to see you :).

These are just my opinions dude. not gospel :)

by itheenigma » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:44 am
sunil_snath wrote:Hi itheenigma,

1.UK visas are processed by VFS, so I thought they would be quick. Both my wife and I have been through VFS and we got it in a week (not visitor visas though)
2.I think you will need a travel insurance for applying for a visa. If not (check UK visa website) dont bother taking it.
3. I took travellers cheques when I came to UK for the first time. Its not necessary but it gives that sense of comfort knowing that its safe. You could also use a credit card as most establishments here take them. Check with you bank if you have one on charges.
4. IMO the best way to experience the school would be on one of the open days. Schools would be better prepared to recieve you. The next oxbridge one is on 18th Nov and i dont see any other open days on their website. No problem in reminding them IMO. Hey, you are making the trip all the way from India just to visit them, so they should be happy to see you :).

These are just my opinions dude. not gospel :)
Thanks Sunil!
It's a damn shame I won't be able to make it to the Oxford open day. :(
Btw, good news is that both Ox+bridge responded positively to my request! Guess I'll be making that pilgrimage to the visa office after all! :D

In case someone else is thinking of making a similar sojourn, I'd ask you to keep loads of buffer time. I'm completely swamped with tiny (but important) things to do before my visa interview.

by itheenigma » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:35 pm
Just a quick update...I got my visa! :D Arrived yesterday along with my documents by courier.
I'll be quickly updating the admission committee about this development, will humbly request them to arrange for a meeting with some current students with a similar background.I might even push the envelope and ask them if they can arrange for me to be part of an ongoing class (do you think i can do this on a non open day?)...
I'm thinking a visit to the career services is also in order (thanks chendawg for your experiences), do a bit of snooping around for the loans services, finances etc and maybe take a look at the colleges, the residential quarters and the city (life) around the university.

Meanwhile, I definitely want to put my best foot forward and give the adcom a good impression, sort of self marketing. So I was thinking of carrying copies of my resume, my GMAT score, transcripts and my story. Do you think I need to go over the top by preparing some video resumes or powerpoint presentations about myself?
Any other tips and pointers?

Cheers!