What GPA to use?

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

What GPA to use?

by MBAAcct2011 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:46 am
Hi There:

I am applying to a top business school, and the only questions asked regarding GPA are:

1) GPA from inception through graduation
2) GPA from after two years through graduation

The problem I am having with this is that I unfortunately had a poor GPA in college and built up an alternative transcript after graduating. Can I not calculate those grades into my GPA? It was mainly to bolster my GPA that I took those classes. Without those grades, I fear my GPA will stand out (badly) like a sore thumb.

As it stands, I feel inclined to include those grades, but would that be considered lying and lead to an automatic rejection?

Thanks.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:57 am
Dear MBAAcct2011,

While I understand your concern with your academic performance in college, you cannot include post-graduate courses in your GPA calculation. If you do, the schools will see it as you are unable to follow direction and are willing to bend the rules--both of which result in a negative impression. Many applicants overcome low GPAs every year, so this is not an insurmountable obstacle. It is great that you have an alternative transcript as it will demonstrate you have the motivation and maturity necessary to succeed in the classroom. I encourage you to write the optional essay regarding your transcript, mainly highlighting how you are capable and committed to your academics and offering supporting evidence of that (i.e., alternative transcript, high GMAT, successful professional track record, etc.).

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me