GMAT timing

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

GMAT timing

by GmatVerbal » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:18 am
I tried couple of "Kaplan" tests and I have serious timing issues,particularly in Verbal. I felt I need to have a timing strategy. For verbal to attempt all questions,I had to rush through the questions as if I am chased by a lion. I am taking most time on RC's. Even for CR's and SC's,forget about comprehending, just going through the text it self taking time. I am not a non native English speaker, agreed. But,not sure, I am that slow in reading or comprehending. Do many non-native speakers feel that way or I am one of the those very slow readers.

I am not sure GMAT designed to test once's timing strategies rather than concept.
I have gone through some of the strategies but most part I felt like cutting corners. For example vertical scanning for SC's - a very good strategy - but not sure GMAC really expects test taker to do that. For RC's, going through portions of the text or CR's mapping to know problem domains.

I think I am trying to understand the GMAT exam so that I can have a strategy effective strategy.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:365 members

by VivianKerr » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:24 am
Definitely strategy will help, but it also just sounds like you need a lot more practice with English. I'd work on improving your CR and RC strategies, but also just spending a few hours a day reading high-quality scholarly English articles like those on Bloomberg.
Vivian Kerr
GMAT Rockstar, Tutor
https://www.GMATrockstar.com
https://www.yelp.com/biz/gmat-rockstar-los-angeles

Former Kaplan and Grockit instructor, freelance GMAT content creator, now offering affordable, effective, Skype-tutoring for the GMAT at $150/hr. Contact: [email protected]

Thank you for all the "thanks" and "follows"! :-)

Followed by:2 members

by AbhiJ » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:28 am
Pick one section and iron it.

For CR, Powerscore CR is the god send. I improved my timing on CR from 3.5 min to 2-2.5 mins.

For RC , practise as many passages as possible - LSAT/RC 99 are two good resources.

For SC, yet to find the recipe.

Followed by:3 members

by GmatVerbal » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:56 am
AbhiJ & VivianKerr,

Thank you for your inputs.

AbhiJ,

I got RC99 and I have to get PowerScore book, I guess. Hopefully, this helps me. I have briefly looked at MGMAT strategy guide but not of much use to me. But still 2.5 min for CR question is more than its given. GMAC believes each question can be done in 1.75 min on avg, so its doable.

Regards.

Followed by:2 members

by AbhiJ » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:02 am
Concepts and approach can reduce timing to a certain extent. After that its all about practise, in LSAT people finish tough CR problems in 75 secs. They practise 1000 CR problems.