GMAT 760 : Please help in Profile evaluation

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

GMAT 760 : Please help in Profile evaluation

by sk1 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:37 am
My Profile :

Worked in Oracle - 3.5 years
Engg from Birla Institute of Technology , Mesra . Major : Electronics and Communication. Percentage : 81.8%
Std 12 : 85.8%
Std 10 : 92.3 %
Decent extra curricular activities
Gmat score : 760

Preference in college : Looking for general management or consulting specialization.
Good college where I can get some decent scholarship.

Have been advised to apply for Kellogg, Duke , Tuck and Columbia..any idea about what the chances of getting in are with the above profile ? I think these are top B schools and my exp might not be enough ! Are there some other colleges I can look into ?

Also how are the Asian colleges for these streams ?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:00 am
Dear sk1,

Based on your GMAT, college GPA and amount of work experience, you are in a competitive range for any MBA program. To truly know if you are competitive, you will want to do some research into these programs and determine if the schools is a good match for you based on both your career goals and personality. All 4 programs recommended to you are top programs, but you are correct they are highly selective. I think it is possible you could gain admission to one if you have a strong, overall package and the school matches your needs. However, top MBA programs do not generally award large scholarship awards. So, if you are concerned about that, then you might want to target some schools that are not as selective, where you are an above average applicant and the program is a good match. Many of the Asian programs offer strong curricula in general management and consulting, as general management is the foundation of any core curriculum. I would suggest looking at the placement results to determine if companies you aspire to work for have hired from those schools in the past. Previous hires indicates a possible recruiting relationship and potential networking contact(s).

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by sk1 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:47 am
Hello Lisa,

Thanks for the reply!

Would it be possible for you to suggest some of the colleges for my profile which are a little less selective ( where I can be an above avg applicant ? )