SC question from GMAC Paper test 14

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

SC question from GMAC Paper test 14

by gigsonline » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:15 pm
Could someone solve the questions below and explain the choice:

Q1.
In the mid-1960's a newly installed radar warning system mistook the rising of the moon as a massive missile attack by the Soviets

1. same as underlined
2. rising of the moon for a massive Soviet missile attack
3. moon rising to a massive missile attack by the Soviets
4. moon as it was rising for a massive Soviet missile attack
5. rise of the moon as a massive Soviets missile attack

Q2.
Neanderthals had a vocal tract that resembled those of the apes and so were probably without language, a shortcoming that may explain why they were supplanted by our own species.

1. same as above
2. Neanderthals had a vocal tract resembling an ape's
3. The vocal tracts of Neanderthals resembled an ape's
4. The Neanderthal's vocal tracts resembled the apes'
5. The vocal tracts of the Neanderthals resembled those of the apes

Legendary Member
Followed by:43 members
GMAT Score:640

by GmatKiss » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:27 pm
gigsonline wrote:Could someone solve the questions below and explain the choice:

Q1.
In the mid-1960's a newly installed radar warning system mistook the rising of the moon as a massive missile attack by the Soviets

1. same as underlined
2. rising of the moon for a massive Soviet missile attack - idiom usage

Q2.
Neanderthals had a vocal tract that resembled those of the apes and so were probably without language, a shortcoming that may explain why they were supplanted by our own species.

1. same as above
3. The vocal tracts of Neanderthals resembled an ape's - passive
4. The Neanderthal's vocal tracts resembled the apes' - vocal tracks of Nederlands's what??
5. The vocal tracts of the Neanderthals resembled those of the apes - passive
Last edited by GmatKiss on Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:750

by cans » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:29 pm
ImO B
and IMO B
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

Contact me about long distance tutoring!
[email protected]

Cans!!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:6 members

by dhonu121 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:21 am
gigsonline wrote:Could someone solve the questions below and explain the choice:

Q1.

1. same as underlined
2. rising of the moon for a massive Soviet missile attack-Correct Idiom
4. moon as it was rising for a massive Soviet missile attack-Wrong Meaning.
Correct Choice 2

Q2.

1. same as above-wrong comparison:Tract versus those.
2. Neanderthals had a vocal tract resembling an ape's-Ape's what ? wrong
3. The vocal tracts of Neanderthals resembled an ape's-Ape's what ? wrong
4. The Neanderthal's vocal tracts resembled the apes' - Ape's what ? Wrong
Correct:5,Right Comparison.
If you've liked my post, let me know by pressing the thanks button.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Calvin123 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:15 am

Q1.

1. same as underlined
2. rising of the moon for a massive Soviet missile attack
Mistake x for Y

Q2.

1. same as above -
3. The vocal tracts of Neanderthals resembled an ape's
4. The Neanderthal's vocal tracts resembled the apes'
Non usderline they must refer to Neanderthals.
IMO
1. B 2. B

by vini1612 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:30 am
I didnt follow the explanations.. In question 1, why is the 5th option not correct? "rise of the moon as a massive Soviets missile attack " i thought simple past should be used instead of past participle -- plz ignore .. i gt the explanation :)

by jlittleaziz » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:08 am
Ditto

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:255 members

by Brian@VeritasPrep » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:28 am
Hey guys,

#1 is a great example of two things:

1) The GMAT's emphasis on logical meaning in SC (that not-so-new trend that everyone is talking about this week)

2) The GMAT's OLD emphasis on idiomatic accuracy, which you really don't need to worry about (this question is an old official question, but I first saw it when I started teaching in 2003...it's an ancient question)

The big decision points here are:

-It's not logical that one would mistake the moon (an object) for an attack (an action). So we need to compare the rising to the attack (or the moon to a missile, but that's not an option). And that eliminates C and D.

-The idiom here is "mistook X for Y" and not "mistook X as Y". But you'd never be tested on that today, so I wouldn't worry about that. That's the rationale for eliminating A and E, leaving B as the correct answer.
Brian Galvin
GMAT Instructor
Chief Academic Officer
Veritas Prep

Looking for GMAT practice questions? Try out the Veritas Prep Question Bank. Learn More.

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:31 am
Hi Brian why is A wrong in Q 2. surely it conveys the correct meaning . Then why is it not the OA
Brian@VeritasPrep wrote:Hey guys,

#1 is a great example of two things:

1) The GMAT's emphasis on logical meaning in SC (that not-so-new trend that everyone is talking about this week)

2) The GMAT's OLD emphasis on idiomatic accuracy, which you really don't need to worry about (this question is an old official question, but I first saw it when I started teaching in 2003...it's an ancient question)

The big decision points here are:

-It's not logical that one would mistake the moon (an object) for an attack (an action). So we need to compare the rising to the attack (or the moon to a missile, but that's not an option). And that eliminates C and D.

-The idiom here is "mistook X for Y" and not "mistook X as Y". But you'd never be tested on that today, so I wouldn't worry about that. That's the rationale for eliminating A and E, leaving B as the correct answer.
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by parul9 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:50 am
Q1.

1. same as underlined --mistook as - wrong idiom!
2. rising of the moon for a massive Soviet missile attack --- right idiom "mistook A for B"
3. moon rising to a massive missile attack by the Soviets --- this dsnt make any sense, unless its a sci fi and a flop one at that! :D
4. moon as it was rising for a massive Soviet missile attack --- weird construct
5. rise of the moon as a massive Soviets missile attack --- weird again

So ans is 2

Q2.

1. same as above ---The subject cannot be neanderthals, it has to be vocal tracts(plural), cos "they were supplanted..."
2. Neanderthals had a vocal tract resembling an ape's --- The subject cannot be neanderthals, it has to be vocal tracts(plural), cos "they were supplanted..."
3. The vocal tracts of Neanderthals resembled an ape's --- The A of sth resembles the B of sth else, NOT The A of sth resembled sth else. parallelism is what we would call it perhaps
4. The Neanderthal's vocal tracts resembled the apes' --- not right
5. The vocal tracts of the Neanderthals resembled those of the apes-- correct construct!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:255 members

by Brian@VeritasPrep » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:22 pm
Hey mundasingh,

For choice A in #2, one pretty significant flaw is "the apes". By adding that "the", the question is referring to specific apes and that adds some logical confusion. Which apes? So I'm on guard a little bit with that one...it seems like an unnecessary use of "the".

Other places I'd be concerned about A:

-You're comparing one vocal tract to "those of" (plural), which I don't think is emphatically wrong (you could say "I'd love to have a car that resembles those from old gangster movies"), but doesn't seem as perfect as it could be.

-The placement of the word "that" splits the parallel verbs, and could pose a grammatical problem there. If you really break it down, you're saying "X had Y that Z and so were probably ________"). That structure could just as well assign the verb "and so were" to Y and not X:

I have a dog that drools and so cannot sleep on the wood floor without ruining it.

There the "cannot sleep on the floor" refers to the dog, not to me! The way the sentence is written, "were" is plural and so you'd think it should refer to Neanderthals since vocal tract is singular, but grammatically it probably poses a problem at least of clarity.

So with those flaws in A, B looks a whole lot more tempting...
Brian Galvin
GMAT Instructor
Chief Academic Officer
Veritas Prep

Looking for GMAT practice questions? Try out the Veritas Prep Question Bank. Learn More.

by rghoshal » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:05 pm
Hi Brian,

Can you pls explain why option 5 is not correct for question 2 ?

Thanks,

by mad2011 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:54 pm
Hi rghoshal

If you look at Not Underlined section "and so were probably without language,..... ",
now if I ask myself WHO were without without language .." answer I get in my head is NEANDERTHALS
VOCAL TRACTS subject doesn't make sense here

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:34 pm
Brian@VeritasPrep wrote:Hey mundasingh,

For choice A in #2, one pretty significant flaw is "the apes". By adding that "the", the question is referring to specific apes and that adds some logical confusion. Which apes? So I'm on guard a little bit with that one...it seems like an unnecessary use of "the".

Other places I'd be concerned about A:

-You're comparing one vocal tract to "those of" (plural), which I don't think is emphatically wrong (you could say "I'd love to have a car that resembles those from old gangster movies"), but doesn't seem as perfect as it could be.

-The placement of the word "that" splits the parallel verbs, and could pose a grammatical problem there. If you really break it down, you're saying "X had Y that Z and so were probably ________"). That structure could just as well assign the verb "and so were" to Y and not X:

I have a dog that drools and so cannot sleep on the wood floor without ruining it.

There the "cannot sleep on the floor" refers to the dog, not to me! The way the sentence is written, "were" is plural and so you'd think it should refer to Neanderthals since vocal tract is singular, but grammatically it probably poses a problem at least of clarity.

So with those flaws in A, B looks a whole lot more tempting...
Thank You Brian really great and lucid explanation without the use of any rules . Provided an insight into how to delve into the meaning of the sentence . You always explain well in an easy to understand manner without making SC seem like Rocket science
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

by jaguar123 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:44 am
Hi Brain,

Thanks for the emphasis on Idioms in the new format of SCs. I have couple of queries regarding this.

1. Does this change means that Idioms will 100% not be tested.
2. What about the rest of the mistakes - Parallelism/SV/Prounoun/Modifier - Will they be remaining
the ame in the new format.
3. Also the 2/3 split .

Please help us with these doubts.