OG Vs Gmat

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

OG Vs Gmat

by aplavakarthik » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:14 am
Hi,

How close is OG to actual Gmat. I seem to do CR in OG 11,12 with more than 90% accuracy. Is the level of Gmat close to OG's(RC/SC/CR).

What are the areas that u feel that actual Gmat is at a higher level than OG. (Quant / Verbal)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by akhilsuhag » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:49 am
I somehow pressed thanx by mistake!! :p

Anyways, OG is a representation of the GMAT. It gives you the patterns that the test tests. I personally believe that at the higher levels (720+) you will get harder questions than the OG. But they will test the same content in a twisted way.

The best way to see what the real GMAT holds is the GMATprep test. This will tell you how difficult it can get and help you compare the OG. This is more so true with quant, as some GMATprep questions are top notch.

Your percentage is good on the OG. I myself clock more than 90% (94/95%) on RC and CR and in the practice tests I usually get 1 CR and 1/2 RC incorrect. So if you want to compare you can. I am not as good on SC though.

Having said that use the OG to learn, keep going back to mistakes (even thought they are very few). Don't use it to gauge your level. Use the GMATpreps to do so!!

I hope it helps!
Please press "thanks" if you think my post has helped you.. Cheers!!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:255 members
GMAT Score:750

by Brian@VeritasPrep » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:33 pm
Great explanation, Akhil!

And this is all my own (hopefully educated) inference and nothing that GMAC has said officially, but it makes sense that the OG would be at more of the "average/above-average" difficulty level and not approaching the "the hardest question in this book is as hard as they'll ever get" level. The GMAT has a responsibility to make sure that you know what to expect in terms of content coverage and question format but I'd argue that it has a disincentive to giving away too much of the high-end difficulty. The test needs some unique-looking (but still based on the content and format of what you've already seen) problems to differentiate between the 680-720-750 students. So it only makes sense that the OG would hold those back...the GMAT doesn't want the test to be a test of "how well you studied" but instead a test of "how well you logically/efficiently solve unique problems".

So if you're looking for a high-600s to 700s score, I'd never look at the Official Guide as a perfect blueprint for the test, or measure yourself directly against the OG as a predictor of how well you'll do. What I'd do to supplement that is:

-like Akhil said, take practice tests in which they really have to throw you questions around your own ability level
-when you see OG questions, think like the testmaker: How could they make that question harder? Which answers were the "trap" answers and what was the trap that the test was setting? How could the GMAT test this same concept in a less-clear way?
-for RC and CR, look at some LSAT questions, which tend to be a little harder (since the LSAT doesn't have a quant section)
-think in terms of "takeaways" - not just "the answer is B...I'm correct" but "the answer is B and that's a good reason why I should always keep in mind _______________". The questions won't be the same necessarily on test day, but the takeaways will be.
Brian Galvin
GMAT Instructor
Chief Academic Officer
Veritas Prep

Looking for GMAT practice questions? Try out the Veritas Prep Question Bank. Learn More.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:355 members
GMAT Score:780

by Ian Stewart » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:28 am
The real GMAT is adaptive - as you proceed through the test, the algorithm will discover your ability level and keep giving you questions that are challenging for you. The OG is not adaptive; it covers the entire difficulty spectrum, which means if you're well above average in ability, most of the OG will be easier than what you see on test day. There are other factors that have led the current GMAT to be somewhat more difficult than the OG; for one thing, the company developing the test changed a few years ago (after many OG questions were written), and it seems that newer questions are somehow a bit 'trickier' than older ones. And there's a second issue which I suspect has made the test increasingly difficult over the last few years. Test takers have been investing more and more time in preparation over the last decade. Because of this, they will answer their experimental questions (the questions which don't count, but which are inserted in your test to gauge their difficulty level for use as real questions in future tests) correctly more often than the less prepared test takers would have done 10 or 20 years ago. That means a question that might have been classified as a 700-level question ten years ago might only be classified as a 600 or 650-level question now.

That said, the OG is an essential resource during prep. It will give you a nearly comprehensive overview of the content of the test, and you'll get a very good feel for the 'style' of real GMAT questions. It's perfect to work from early on in your preparation. Just be aware that if you're a high-level test taker (in either Quant or Verbal), you'll see several questions on test day that are harder than most of the questions in the OG. You'll get a much better indication of what the actual test will be like from the GMATPrep software, as akhilsuhag pointed out above.
For online GMAT math tutoring, or to buy my higher-level Quant books and problem sets, contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

ianstewartgmat.com