BTG question ...

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:590

BTG question ...

by monge1980 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:56 am
There are 10 people in a room. If each person shakes hands with exactly 3 other people, what is the total number of handshakes?

A) 15
B) 30
C) 45
D) 60
E) 120

OA is A) (30/2=15) but I am still confused about this question.

Could you please articulate?

by monge1980 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:14 am
Let try to follow this reasoning:

divide the 10 people in 2 group of 4 and 1 group of 2. If each member of the first group of 4 people shakes the hand of 3 people within the same group, then 6 handsshake will be enough to guarantee that each member shakes the hand no more than three times.

Repeat the reasoning for the second group of 4 people. Till now we have 12 handshakes. Now last group of two people is missing ... they can only shake the hand each other, because all the other people have already shaked the hand three times.

I don't understand neither the question nor the answer

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Krk » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:29 am
Here is my understanding and approach for this problem.
Approach 1:
If all 10 people shake hands to 3 other people, then 30 handshakes will be there.
In order to avoid the repetition, the number of handshakes should be less than 30.
The only answer less than 30 is 15.
So i will go for that.

Approach 2:
We can draw a table as below, showing a possible comibnation of only 3 handshakes per each person.
(Each number should have only 3 cross marks).
The result will be 15.

Please comment if there is any simpler way for this.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:74 members
GMAT Score:770

by Whitney Garner » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:48 am
monge1980 wrote:There are 10 people in a room. If each person shakes hands with exactly 3 other people, what is the total number of handshakes?

A) 15
B) 30
C) 45
D) 60
E) 120

We should think first about the act of the handshake. Let's start with a smaller room of just 4 people A, B, C, and D. We can use the same rules - each person must shake hands with exactly 3 other people (this means that everyone will shake hands with everyone else. If I go down the row, I can count up handshakes by
- pairing with A: AB, AC, AC
- pairing with B: BA, BC, BD
- pairing with C: CA, CB, CD
- pairing with D: DA, DB, DC

That would give 4*3=12 handshakes - but wait! I have over-counted, because BOTH people involved in each handshake are part of my room. So when I pair A with B, I don't want to later pair B with A - its the SAME handshake! Therefore each handshake is getting counted as double - giving credit to BOTH people in the event rather than treating them as a single event. I can re-pair and eliminate the over-count:

- pairing with A: AB, AC, AC
- pairing with B: BC, BD
- pairing with C: CD
- pairing with D: <none left>

So we have 6 pairings, or exactly 1/2 of the 12 we originally counted.

This is why when we have 10 people, we find the total number of hands that reach out for a shake (10 people reach out 3 times each = 30 hands reaching out). But we then have to think of them as pairs in order to create the act of the handshake - so we must divide the number of hands reaching out to shake by 2 since they work together = 30/2 = 15).

:)
Whit
Whitney Garner
GMAT Instructor & Instructor Developer
Manhattan Prep

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Math is a lot like love - a simple idea that can easily get complicated :)

by monge1980 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:59 am
Hi Whit, I tried the same at the beginning, but when I extended to 5 people I didn't get the same rule:

A, B, C, D, E

A: AB, AC, AD
B: BC, BD, BE
C: CD, CE, CA
D: DE, DA, DB
E: EA, EB, EC

Noe eliminate doubleconting ...

C: CD, CE
D: DE
E: EA

The total now is 10 ... which cannot result from the previous rule

Still doubt on how to approach that...

by monge1980 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:12 pm
Krk wrote:Here is my understanding and approach for this problem.
Approach 1:
If all 10 people shake hands to 3 other people, then 30 handshakes will be there.
In order to avoid the repetition, the number of handshakes should be less than 30.
So i will go for that.

Approach 2:
We can draw a table as below, showing a possible comibnation of only 3 handshakes per each person.
(Each number should have only 3 cross marks).
The result will be 15.

Please comment if there is any simpler way for this.

I like this visual approach, but I am wondering whether the rule 30/2=15 ca be extended to all the cases or it is only a coincidence. What is the generalized rule?

Maybe we can follow only a visual approach...

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Whitney Garner » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:19 pm
monge1980 wrote:Hi Whit, I tried the same at the beginning, but when I extended to 5 people I didn't get the same rule:

A, B, C, D, E

So here comes the fun with your example - there is actually NO WAY for 5 people in a room to shake hands with exactly 3 people each. Let's look at your original list:

A: AB, AC, AD (This is 3 handshakes for A, and 1 each for B, C, D)

B: BC, BD, BE (But we know that A has shaken hands with B, so B must have shaken hands with A. This means that we have our first problem - according to this list, B has shaken with 4 people - w just didn't list A again)

C: CD, CE, CA (Problem again, you have C shaking hands with D, E and A but according to B's list, C has shaken hands with B as well - we have not counted correctly!)

This is going to continue, so I need to think of a better way to count to see the actual number of possibilities. If I go person by person and assign handshakes, I can see this. Note that all handshakes MUST turn up as duplicates or they can not have occurred. So I will list the handshakes under BOTH people's lists, but put duplicates in parenthesis.

B: (AB), BC, BD
C: (AC), (BC), CE (wanted to get E in on the action here)
D: (AD), (BD), DE (can't shake D with C because it isn't in C's list)
E: (CE), (DE)

If there are 5 people, then E will only get to shake hands with 2 people, NOT 3, so the assignment is not possible!

SO - the rule is that the total number of people MUST be evenly divisible by the number of people involved in the action. If the handshake was some strange 3-person handshake, then the total number of people in the room would have to be divisible by 3 in order for everyone to have the same number of events.

Because our handshake is between 2 people, we must have the number of people in the room be divisible by 2 in order for them to each get the same number of handshakes.

So, if there are 20 people shaking hands with 5 people each, then we calculate that as 20*5 (total number of hands shaking) divided by 2 (the number of hands involved in each handshaking event) = 50 (because the number of people, 20, is divisible by the number of people involved in each event, 2 per handshake).

Ah - the fun of weird restrictions!
Whit
Whitney Garner
Manhattan Prep

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:22 pm
monge1980 wrote:Hi Whit, I tried the same at the beginning, but when I extended to 5 people I didn't get the same rule:

A, B, C, D, E

In your example, we can see that A shakes hands with 4 people (when it should be 3). You also have D shaking hands with 4 people.

It's important to note that it's impossible to have each person shake hands with 3 people if there are 5 people altogether (in fact it's impossible if the number of people is odd).

To see why, let's first examine the original question with 10 people.
If we ask each person "How many people did you shake hands with?" the answer will be 3
So if there are 10 people, there are 30 handshakes (10x3=30)
However, this calculation counts each handshake twice, so we need to divide 30 by 2 to get 15.

If we attempt to use the same approach for 5 people, we first get a total of 15 handshakes (5x3=15), but to account for the duplication, we must divide 15 by 2 to get 7.5 handshakes, which cannot be true.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Whitney Garner » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:26 pm
monge1980 wrote:I like this visual approach, but I am wondering whether the rule 30/2=15 ca be extended to all the cases or it is only a coincidence. What is the generalized rule?

Maybe we can follow only a visual approach...
It CAN be applied in ALL cases where the division of handshakes is possible (see full notes above). If the number of total people is divisible by the number of people in each event then I find the total and divide by the people per event.

So in this example, I need the total number of people in the room to be divisible by the number of people sharing a handshake - so the total must be divisible by 2. The reason - if it is not divisible, then we cannot have everyone perform the same number of events (be it 1 handshake or 20 handshakes each). Think about the scenario of 9 people in a room - now ask them to shake hands with exactly 1 person each. They can't! Why - because when I pair them up, poor person #9 gets left all alone!! Same goes with asking for 2 handshakes each, or 3 handshakes each, etc.

To make this a bit more clear - pretend that the act of shaking 3 people's hands each goes like this. A whistle blows and everyone has to pair off and shake their first hand. If the total number of people is not evenly divisible into pairs, then someone misses a handshake. A whistle blows again and everyone has to pair with someone new. Again, someone is going to have to be left out! The 3rd whistle blows and it happens all over - someone has to get left out of a handshake. This is why it is NOT POSSIBLE to make a group of 5 people pair off the same number of times!

Whit
Whitney Garner
Manhattan Prep

by monge1980 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:29 pm
Exactly Whit, I was struggling to get the rule and actually you are right :-)

How do you think I can drill down this matter? Do you have some good source in mind?

Thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Whitney Garner » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:43 pm
monge1980 wrote:Exactly Whit, I was struggling to get the rule and actually you are right :-)

How do you think I can drill down this matter? Do you have some good source in mind?

Thanks
Hi monge1980!

So the first thing I would say is that this is a fairly esoteric rule with VERY short range impacts. What does this mean for your studies - its not worth researching or committing to memory! Why, when it is FAR more likely that you will NOT see a question like this than that you will!

But that does not mean that playing with these patterns should be ignored. What I would suggest as more important is an investigation in patterns. I tell my students this a lot:

It is far less important that you go through all of the Number Properties and memorize the patterns, but absolutely imperative that you understand that patterns exist.

What do I mean?

Well just this - the GMAT is never going to give you a problem where the only solution is to list or compute 10s or 100s of numbers/combinations in order to solve. There will always be a "trick"! BUT, its nearly impossible to go our and learn/memorize every potential number pattern in the universe!! That would be nuts. Instead, when you see a problem like this, tell yourself - "I know there is a pattern here, can I think about it?" Maybe you'll want to write out the first couple of example numbers or combinations so that you can start to actually see the pattern. Maybe you will simply need to "think" about it and make a logical deduction.

For example, in krk's first approach:
Krk wrote: Approach 1:
So i will go for that.
This is absolutely elegant! Sure, its not terribly scientific, but it gets the job done, and Krk recognized a pattern - I know the total number but I also know that it is over-counting! Taken one step further, we could surmise that in each handshake, 2 agents are present, so while each individual sees this as their own handshake - it is actually ONE event. Therefore I actually KNOW my over-count.

But now you might ask - but what if they had told me that there were 9 people and they were to shake hands with 3 people each - what would I do because that is an exception to the logic??? Well, guess what - they CAN'T give you that example because it cannot be done! They cannot ask you for the answer to an impossible question!!

So relax, learn to recognize where there is likely a pattern, and be willing to poke at a problem to make it "show" you its pattern. No sense going nuts with flash cards trying to cover every possible number pattern in the universe. If you managed to memorize them all, you were WAAAAAY too smart to be studying for this test in the first place! Heck, I'd like you to Tutor for my PhD!! ;-P

Good Luck!!
Whit
Whitney Garner
Manhattan Prep

by monge1980 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:55 pm
Thank you guys ... I really enjoyed this discussion! The BTG community becomes like a family in this GMAT phase of life - whenever you need support the family is there. Even the time zone is not an obstacle in this community ... there will be always some one around the world, who is not sleeping and who is eager to give an answer.
Thanks again

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:44 pm
monge1980 wrote:There are 10 people in a room. If each person shakes hands with exactly 3 other people, what is the total number of handshakes?

A) 15
B) 30
C) 45
D) 60
E) 120

Another approach:

The total number of pairs that can be formed from 10 people = 10C2 = 45.
If all of these pairs shake hands, each person in the room will shake hands with every other person in the room.
The result will be 9 handshakes per person.
Since we want only 3 handshakes per person, we must divide by 3:
45/3 = 15.

The correct answer is A.
Last edited by GMATGuruNY on Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:8 members

by saketk » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:44 pm
yeah-- I followed the Same approach as used by Mitch...

simply pair them up 10c2 = 45 pair -- means 45 handshakes... each one shakes hand with 9 other people present.
and then divide the number by 3 (since we have a constraint mentioned in the question)

45/3 = 15 (answer) :)

by monge1980 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:12 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:

A) 15
B) 30
C) 45
D) 60
E) 120

Another approach:

The total number of pairs that can be formed from 10 people = 10C2 = 45.
If all of these pairs shake hands, each person in the room will shake hands with every other person in the room.
The result will be 9 handshakes per person.
Since we want only 3 handshakes per person, we must divide by 3:
45/3 = 15.

The correct answer is A.
I don't like this formula because I don't know how it should work if we had 4 handshakes for each people.
In this case I should divide 45 by 4? This not yields to the true result, which is 20. In fact we should count 4x10 divided by 2 = 20.

Therefore, GURU, should we restrict the generalization of the formula used in this post (10C2/3) ?

Thanks