710 (Q47, V41) 92%. AWA 5

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

710 (Q47, V41) 92%. AWA 5

by shaftbond » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:32 pm
I'm pretty happy with my score. My goal was 700, so beating my goal was pretty fantastic.

My story:

My bachelor's is in Film from BYU. To get a degree at BYU, and you need to take advanced math OR advanced language (once you get out of the basic math classes). I had learned Korean on a two year church service mission, so I chose to take the advanced language route. Needless to say, when it came time to prep for the GMAT, my quant was seriously lacking. I mean, I started with the multiplication tables in February. I looked around this board and felt the ManhattanGMAT books would fit me pretty well, so I purchased all of the Math books they offered. I added those books to a stack of books my brother gave me (he took the GMAT a couple years prior) and as many resources I could find online and sat down to study. I was soon overwhelmed by the amount of information in front of me and decided I needed a more structured study plan.

I didn't want to pay for a full prep course, so after a bit of research, I signed up with Grockit.com. From that point on, I would say 80% of my studying was done on that website. There are hours of instructional video that while the production quality is a bit lacking, there was good information. After answering hundreds of questions on the site, I was able to go in and see what topics I was struggling with and focus on those. I took a number of CAT tests on the site and and took my score into high 600's. I set my goal at 700 because I never scored above that on a practice test.

The last two weeks before the GMAT I returned to the ManhattanGMAT books and now, with my foundation there, I found the books extremely helpful. I took the test on August 18th and got a 710 (Q47, V41) 92%. AWA 5. I didn't post much on this site, but I lurked quite a bit and will continue to hang around as I try to maximize my applications. Thanks everyone!

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:720

by vineeshp » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:30 pm
Congrats.

All the best for your application journey.
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:700

by prodizy » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:20 pm
Excellent - you had a clear goal, simple plan, and perfect execution. I think that's what adcom look in the future leaders :) All the best.