Subject-Verb agreement

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Subject-Verb agreement

by gmatisgay » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:31 pm
Soaring costs for gasoline and oil, the essential resources allowing car owners to be able to fuel and lubricate their automobiles, is leading to increased popular support for new government initiatives to develop alternative and renewable energy sources.

A
the essential resources allowing car owners to be able to fuel and lubricate their automobiles, is

B
the essential resources used by car owners to fuel and lubricate their automobiles, is

C
the essential resources enabling car owners to fuel and lubricate their automobiles, is

D
the essential resources enabling car owners to be able to fuel and lubricate their automobiles, are

E
the essential resources used by car owners to fuel and lubricate their automobiles, are

OA is E
But here I thought soaring costs is the SINGLE reason leading to increased popular support for new government initiatives to develop alternative and renewable energy sources. Therefore the verb should be singular, right??

question from Grockit

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by champ0007 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:10 pm
All the other choics A C D are ruled out for wrong idiomatic usage

I was also confused between B and E

Though "Soaring Costs" looks like an action noun but we are talking about 2 costs separately here, that of oil and gasoline ... therefore plural verb fits well.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by garima99 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:15 pm
Soaring costs for gasoline and oil, the essential resources allowing car owners to be able to fuel and lubricate their automobiles, is leading to increased popular support for new government initiatives to develop alternative and renewable energy sources.

A
the essential resources allowing car owners to be able to fuel and lubricate their automobiles,is

B
the essential resources used by car owners to fuel and lubricate their automobiles,is

C
the essential resources enabling car owners to fuel and lubricate their automobiles, is

D
the essential resources enabling car owners to be able to fuel and lubricate their automobiles, are

E
the essential resources used by car owners to fuel and lubricate their automobiles, are

Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:700

by sunnyjohn » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:33 pm
Hi gmatisgay,

This is a very simple question if you know one "stopsign". It took me only 12 seconds to solve this question.

Stop Sign - "Whenever you see a long modifier in the middle of a sentence, it must be checking -"Subject-Verb agreement".

Subject of the sentence: costs ( Plural )

A,B,C - out, because costs is ( WRONG )

Out of D and E -
D: Enabling car owners to be able to
It is eliminated because of redundancy.

This left with E as answer.

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by smackmartine » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:45 pm
@gmatisgay,

I guess "soaring" tipped you off. Soaring is just an adjective that modifies "costs". Always concentrate on the main subject. "Costs" is the main subject that is plural, and hence are should be the verb .
Smack is Back ...
It takes time and effort to explain, so if my comment helped you please press Thanks button :)

Followed by:7 members

by Ozlemg » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:00 am
"The soar in the costs is" would be correct...
The more you suffer before the test, the less you will do so in the test! :)

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:05 am
champ0007 wrote:All the other choics A C D are ruled out for wrong idiomatic usage

I was also confused between B and E

Though "Soaring Costs" looks like an action noun but we are talking about 2 costs separately here, that of oil and gasoline ... therefore plural verb fits well.
Soaring costs is not an action noun . It is adjective + Noun
I Seek Explanations Not Answers