GMAT CR

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

GMAT CR

by abhi75 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:56 am
The spacing of the four holes on a fragment of a bone flute excavated at a Neanderthal campsite is just what is required to play the third through sixth notes of the diatonic scale—the seven-note musical scale used in much of Western music since the Renaissance. Musicologists therefore hypothesize that the diatonic musical scale was developed and used thousands of years before it was adopted by Western musicians.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the hypothesis?

A. Bone flutes were probably the only musical instrument made by Neanderthals.
B. No musical instrument that is known to have used a diatomic scale is of an earlier date than the flute found at the Neanderthal campsite.
C. The flute was made from a cave-bear bone and the campsite at which the flute fragment was excavated was in a cave that also contained skeletal remains of cave bears.
D. Flutes are the simplest wind instrument that can be constructed to allow playing a diatonic scale.
E. The cave-bear leg bone used to make the Neanderthal flute would have been long enough to make a flute capable of playing a complete diatonic scale.

Can someone please explain this. Stuart, I would really appreciate your help in explaining this one.

Thanks.
Abhi

by arorag » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:34 pm
only B is supporting the argument

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:614 members
GMAT Score:800

Re: GMAT CR

by Stuart@KaplanGMAT » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:47 pm
abhi75 wrote:The spacing of the four holes on a fragment of a bone flute excavated at a Neanderthal campsite is just what is required to play the third through sixth notes of the diatonic scale—the seven-note musical scale used in much of Western music since the Renaissance. Musicologists therefore hypothesize that the diatonic musical scale was developed and used thousands of years before it was adopted by Western musicians.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the hypothesis?

A. Bone flutes were probably the only musical instrument made by Neanderthals.
B. No musical instrument that is known to have used a diatomic scale is of an earlier date than the flute found at the Neanderthal campsite.
C. The flute was made from a cave-bear bone and the campsite at which the flute fragment was excavated was in a cave that also contained skeletal remains of cave bears.
D. Flutes are the simplest wind instrument that can be constructed to allow playing a diatonic scale.
E. The cave-bear leg bone used to make the Neanderthal flute would have been long enough to make a flute capable of playing a complete diatonic scale.

Can someone please explain this. Stuart, I would really appreciate your help in explaining this one.

Thanks.
Abhi
We can summarize the argument as follows:

Flute fragment found with 4 notes of the diatonic scale. Therefore, creators of flute knew about and used the diatonic scale.

In order to reach that conclusion, the author has to assume that the 4 notes on the fragment aren't just coincidentally on the diatonic scale.

Our prediction for a strengthener: some actual evidence that it's not just a coincidence OR something that allows us to extrapolate more info from the 4 notes on the fragment.

Only choice (e) gives us useful information. If we know that the flute could have contained the entire scale, that's more evidence that the creators knew about and used the scale.

This is a great situation to use Kaplan's denial test. Let's look at the opposite of (e):
It is NOT true that the cave-bear leg bone used to make the Neanderthal flute would have been long enough to make a flute capable of playing a complete diatonic scale.
Well, if the flute couldn't have been long enough to encompass the entire scale, then we're very skeptical that the neanderthals were actually using the scale. In other words, the opposite of (e) casts doubt on the conclusion: therefore, (e) itself must be a strengthener.

It's important to remember that strengthening isn't the same as proving. (E) certainly doesn't prove that neanderthals used the scale, it just makes that conclusion more believable.

Stuart Kovinsky | Kaplan GMAT Faculty | Toronto

Kaplan Exclusive: The Official Test Day Experience | Ready to Take a Free Practice Test? | Kaplan/Beat the GMAT Member Discount
BTG100 for $100 off a full course

by abhi75 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:06 pm
Hi Stuart,

Thanks for your great explanation. The OA is definitely E. I am always off on these kind of questions. Need to practice more!

-abhi

by chidcguy » Sun May 11, 2008 8:50 am
I went with C as I needed to link the N's and the cave bone used in the flute. C says that the cave bone was used to make the flute and the campsite at which flute was excavated also contained skeletal remains of cave bears.

C linked them, How ever E is a better answer as it not only says that the flute is made of cave bear leg bone, but also long enough which supports the used and developed part in the original stimulus.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by bvn » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:50 am
Thank you very much Stuart. Your explanation gives me another weapon to fight this freaking question

Followed by:1 members

by rahul.s » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:33 am
Excellent explanation Stuart. Thank you :)

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by gilliamwibson » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:32 am
thanks Stuart!!! again

Legendary Member
Followed by:49 members

by atulmangal » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:23 am
gilliamwibson wrote:thanks Stuart!!! again
Nice question and nice explanation

Legendary Member
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:750

by cans » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:40 pm
Nice question :)
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

Contact me about long distance tutoring!
[email protected]

Cans!!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by kapoor.divs » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:57 am
Hi Stuart,

Can you please explain why B is wrong and how to approach strongly support type of questions in general.

CR is a weak area for me :(

Thanks!

Regards,
Divya

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by hbhardwaj » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:53 am
Yeah, Even I don't know why B is incorrect....

Please explain

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by pinchharmonic » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:32 pm
answer choice B seems to eliminate the doubt that there was an even earlier discovery / usage of the diatonic scale since no instrument was found to be dated earlier. but that only strengthens the conclusion "the diatonic scale was NOT discovered tens of thousands of years ago"

that really doesn't help the conclusion of it being discovered thousands of years ago

answer choice C is strange because if the bone was long enough to play the entire scale then why didn't the neandrathals have all the holes, if they can drill 4 why not the rest? the conclusion was they discovered the entire scale. not just 4 of the notes.

when you negate it and the bone was NOT long enough for the 7 holes for the 7 notes. then that gives an explanation for why they didn't have the 7 holes, they only have the 4 holes that fit. i don't think we can assume music knowledge that a lot of scales share the same notes. wouldn't a more reasonable assumption be, if a scale is different, it shares no notes with any other scale?

any clarification would be much appreciated!