Confused - OG Problems Immediately After Chapter?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi all,

I'm following the MGMAT guides and syllabus and have a question. Should OG guide problems be done immediately after completing a chapter or after reading the entire book (ex: number properties) as listed in the syllabus?

Thanks!
On the GMAT road again:
https://nightowlsrevenge.tumblr.com/

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by Dan@VinciaPrep » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:11 am
Hello,
Although I don't teach for Manhattan GMAT, I sometimes have my students use buy some of their books. When I do, I almost always have them do the questions from the OG right after the chapter to help cement the information. Then I have them do the questions that they had problems with again a couple weeks later. Review is extremely important

Cheers
-Dan
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

I'm a private tutor in Paris, I provide online and in person consulting for the GMAT and MBA application essays.
GMAT tutor paris
Prepa GMAT

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:710

by dmf5238 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:49 am
I'm following the MGMAT as well, and I just do it page for page. I do the end-of-chapter practice problems after each chapter, then I do the OG problems when I get to them. Part of the reason I like doing the OG problems all at once is because it serves as a review for what I covered in the past few days. Also, I keep a log of my start and end times for these problems so that I can get an estimated average time that I'm spending on each problem.

By following the book directly, I think you're following what the authors intended you to do. If they intended you to do the corresponding OG section immediately after each chapter, they probably would've laid the book out in that format. It's all about what works for you though; if you feel like doing them after each chapter is the best way for you to learn and review the concepts, then by all means, do that! :D

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by NightOwl2014 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:26 am
Thank you both for your replies! I'm going to try doing the OG problems immediately after the chapter. I have access to an online problem database so I can use those questions to review.

Thanks again for your help!
On the GMAT road again:
https://nightowlsrevenge.tumblr.com/

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by Dan@VinciaPrep » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:56 am
No problem. Remember though, the most important part is reviewing the questions that you've already done and working on your weaknesses. Don't fall into the trap of just doing more and more questions without reviewing.
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

I'm a private tutor in Paris, I provide online and in person consulting for the GMAT and MBA application essays.
GMAT tutor paris
Prepa GMAT