To meet the rapidly rising market demand for fish and seafoo

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members
To meet the rapidly rising market demand for fish and seafood, suppliers are growing fish twice as fast as their natural growth rate, cutting their feed allotment by nearly half and raising them on special diets.

(A) their natural growth rate, cutting their feed allotment
(B) their natural growth rate, their feed allotment cut
(C) growing them naturally, cutting their feed allotment
(D) they grow naturally, cutting their feed allotment
(E) they grow naturally, with their feed allotment cut

[spoiler]OA: Will be posted later. Please discuss each answer choice in detail[/spoiler]

Legendary Member
Followed by:53 members

by Frankenstein » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:37 am
To meet the rapidly rising market demand for fish and seafood, suppliers are growing fish twice as fast as their natural growth rate, cutting their feed allotment by nearly half and raising them on special diets.

(A) their natural growth rate, cutting their feed allotment --> compares growing with growth rate, improper comparison
(B) their natural growth rate, their feed allotment cut -->same as A, lacks parallelism as well
(C) growing them naturally, cutting their feed allotment --> fishes grow naturally, if suppliers grow them, it is not natural.
(D) they grow naturally, cutting their feed allotment
(E) they grow naturally, with their feed allotment cut --> lacks parallelism

Hence, D
Cheers!

Things are not what they appear to be... nor are they otherwise

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by sweety14 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:23 am
In C there is parallelism between growing and cutting

Legendary Member

by aspirant2011 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:05 am
Frankenstein wrote: (D) they grow naturally, cutting their feed allotment
I have a doubt on option D i.e to what does "they & their refer to"......please explain

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by sameerballani » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:28 am
fish

it is used as plural here.
they [fish] grow naturally, their(fish's)
aspirant2011 wrote:
I have a doubt on option D i.e to what does "they & their refer to"......please explain

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by deep.amangmat » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:31 am
I also had same question. I felt that there is pronoun ambiguity in the correct choice. Check out the explanation here: https://e-gmat.com/blogs/?p=367

I dont think we should use pronoun ambiguity as a way to eliminate answer choices in the first cut. We should use other more specific errors and then use pronoun ambiguity as a last resort.

After all we have to select the BEST answer choice AMONG the ones presented. Not the BEST EVer!!

Hope this helps.

Aman

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by amit2k9 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:56 am
D it is with correct parallelism between the growth. Usage of cutting is correct as the action is happening at the same time.
For Understanding Sustainability,Green Businesses and Social Entrepreneurship visit -https://aamthoughts.blocked/
(Featured Best Green Site Worldwide-https://bloggers.com/green/popular/page2)

Legendary Member

by aspirant2011 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:50 am
sameerballani wrote:fish

aspirant2011 wrote:
according to you their refers to fish????? but if you see the option D carefully it says cutting their feed allotment --------> who is cutting their feed allotment??? is it suppliers??? because the latter part says raising them on special diets........for sure this is done by suppliers.....according to me both cutting and raising should be done by suppliers.......please clarify

Legendary Member

by sameerballani » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:57 am
all the three activities - growing, cutting, raising - are being performed by supplier, but i feel its being performed on fish(plural in this case)
aspirant2011 wrote:

aspirant2011 wrote:
according to you their refers to fish????? but if you see the option D carefully it says cutting their feed allotment --------> who is cutting their feed allotment??? is it suppliers??? because the latter part says raising them on special diets........for sure this is done by suppliers.....according to me both cutting and raising should be done by suppliers.......please clarify

Legendary Member

by aspirant2011 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:07 am
sameerballani wrote:all the three activities - growing, cutting, raising - are being performed by supplier, but i feel its being performed on fish(plural in this case)
aspirant2011 wrote:

aspirant2011 wrote:
got it thanks a lot :-)

Legendary Member
Followed by:53 members

by Frankenstein » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:11 am
aspirant2011 wrote:
Hi,
I know this is not the best of questions. But, we have to find the best among the options.Pronoun ambiguity as you know is generally not the highest priority. We consider this when the option doesn't have any other errors. So, go with the meaning of the sentence.
Pronoun reference is already explained by Sameer.
Cheers!

Things are not what they appear to be... nor are they otherwise

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by Sanjay2706 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:11 am
IMO D.
Although a bit confused between C and D.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by deep.amangmat » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:22 am
@Sanjay2706...

D is the correct answer. C cannot be correct since it illogically states that "people grow fish naturally" and as Frankenstein explained above, if you grow something then that thing does not grow naturally. You are making it grow.
(C) growing them naturally, cutting their feed allotment --> fishes grow naturally, if suppliers grow them, it is not natural.
Aman