Need Help 680 (Q44, V37)

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Need Help 680 (Q44, V37)

by atysenn » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:56 pm
I just took the Gmat my second time and went from a 610 to 680. I got the SAME Quant score and I left two questions blank the first time I took it. I really think a 700 is in reach; I just stuck on Quant. I seem to have the opposite problem of most people. I took a Manhattan Gmat class in the fall and really dont know if that helped at all.

I know I was in the top bin of questions in the middle because I hit a probability with restrictions questions, but somewhere fell apart. Does anyone have suggestions or advice? I need a Quant boot camp.

Thanks for any help!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by chaosgirl » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:32 pm
Hi atysenn,

I took the GMAT twice as well, went from 640 to 710, made a 70 point improvement just as you did. I've spoken to a bunch of people - friends, friends of friends etc and the opinion I get is:

1. Try not to take the GMAT more than twice. If you keep taking it again and again, business schools think you are more obsessed with giving the GMAT than going to school.

2. 680 is not a bad score. Granted, its not spectacular and I know you want to break 700. But, I on't know whether reaching 700 is going to make a huge difference in your acceptance rate. In my opinion, you are better off focusing on the rest of your application - recs, essays etc.

3. If you are absolutely certain that you do not want to apply with 680, then my suggestion is t sign up for Knewton. The material is great, instructors are engaging and the course is fairly cheap compared to other classroom courses. Its all online, so if you're comfortable with that, then Knewton is great. They have a 50+ point guarantee by the way. If you don't improve by atleast 50 points, they refund your money.

Hope this helps! Hang in there - In the end, what matters is the school, not your GMAT score. 680 is very decent. A friend of my friend got 680 and is currently attending Ross. Good luck!