At a certain company

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

At a certain company

by sameerballani » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:56 am
At a certain company, some of the employees have advanced degrees, some have one year or more of work experience, and some have both. If 20 percent of all employees have one year or more of experience and no advanced degree, what percentage of employees have advanced degrees and less than one year of experience?

(1) 35 percent of the employees do not have advanced degrees and 55 percent have less than one year of work experience.

(2) 15 percent of the employees lack an advanced degree and have less than one year of work experience; 45 percent have one year or more of experience.

OA: D

[spoiler]I was able to solve this. However, my question is that should not this question explicitly mention in the first line that "in the company there are some employees neither with advanced degree nor with >=1yr work experience".[/spoiler]
Please give your comments.

Legendary Member
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:750

by cans » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:24 am
let total=100
one year or more work ex = W
degrees = D
20 = W & not D
x=D + not W ??
a)65=D & 45=W
thus W and D = 45-20=25
D & not W = 65-25 = 40 Sufficient
b)15= not W and not D
45=W
100=15+45 + (x)
x=40
sufficient
IMO D
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

Contact me about long distance tutoring!
[email protected]

Cans!!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:614 members
GMAT Score:800

by Stuart@KaplanGMAT » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:37 am
sameerballani wrote:At a certain company, some of the employees have advanced degrees, some have one year or more of work experience, and some have both. If 20 percent of all employees have one year or more of experience and no advanced degree, what percentage of employees have advanced degrees and less than one year of experience?

I was able to solve this. However, my question is that should not this question explicitly mention in the first line that "in the company there are some employees neither with advanced degree nor with >=1yr work experience".
Hi,

there's no need for the original question to mention that, because it's implied by default. If the question maker wanted there to be no people who belong to the "neither" category, then THAT would have had to be explicitly stated.

For example, if you were to say:

"some people in this room are men", that leaves open the possibility that some are not men.

If you were to say:

"some people in this room are men, some are rich and some are rich men", that certainly still leaves open the possibility that there are some women in the room - there's no need to restate that explicitly.

Stuart Kovinsky | Kaplan GMAT Faculty | Toronto

Kaplan Exclusive: The Official Test Day Experience | Ready to Take a Free Practice Test? | Kaplan/Beat the GMAT Member Discount
BTG100 for $100 off a full course