Earth

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Earth

by jainrahul1985 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:12 am
The Earth's rivers constantly carry dissolved salts into its oceans. Clearly, therefore, by taking the resulting increase in salt levels in the oceans over the past hundred years and then determining how many centuries of such increases it would have taken the oceans to reach current salt levels from a hypothetical initial salt-free state, the maximum age of the Earth's oceans can be accurately estimated.
Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?
A.The quantities of dissolved salts deposited by rivers in the Earth's oceans have not been unusually large during the past hundred years.
B.At any given time, all the Earth's rivers have about the same salt levels.
C.There are salts that leach into the Earth's oceans directly from the ocean floor.
D.There is no method superior to that based on salt levels for estimating the maximum age of the Earth's oceans.
E.None of the salts carried into the Earth's oceans by rivers are used up by biological activity in the oceans.
Confused b/w A and E . Please suggest

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:730

by watchout4me » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:20 am
E for me.
Would wait for others though.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:47 am
jainrahul1985 wrote:
The Earth's rivers constantly carry dissolved salts into its oceans. Clearly, therefore, by taking the resulting increase in salt levels in the oceans over the past hundred years and then determining how many centuries of such increases it would have taken the oceans to reach current salt levels from a hypothetical initial salt-free state, the maximum age of the Earth's oceans can be accurately estimated.
A.The quantities of dissolved salts deposited by rivers in the Earth's oceans have not been unusually large during the past hundred years.
C.There are salts that leach into the Earth's oceans directly from the ocean floor.
D.There is no method superior to that based on salt levels for estimating the maximum age of the Earth's oceans.
E.None of the salts carried into the Earth's oceans by rivers are used up by biological activity in the oceans.
Conclusion: We can count the increases in salt levels in order to determine the age of the earth.

Premise: Rivers deposit dissolved salt into the oceans.

Assumption: That we can use the salt levels to determine the maximum age of the earth's oceans.

The assumption is the answer choice that must be true in order for the conclusion to remain valid.

A.The quantities of dissolved salts deposited by rivers in the Earth's oceans have not been unusually large during the past hundred years. Correct. The argument assumes that we can use data from the past hundred years to make deductions about the previous centuries. If the quantities over the past 100 years have been unusually large, we can't use them to learn about the previous centuries.

B.At any given time, all the Earth's rivers have about the same salt levels. No. Every river does not have to hold the same amount of salt in order for us to determine the age of the earth's oceans.

C.There are salts that leach into the Earth's oceans directly from the ocean floor. No. This answer choice would weaken the conclusion. The assumption should help the conclusion by connecting it to the premise.

D.There is no method superior to that based on salt levels for estimating the maximum age of the Earth's oceans. Out of scope. The argument does not claim that the salt-level method is better than any other method.

E.None of the salts carried into the Earth's oceans by rivers are used up by biological activity in the oceans. Too extreme. Even if some of the salts are used up, the amount could be so small that we could still use the salt levels to determine the age of the earth's oceans.

[Please note that my thoughts about A and E have been edited -- post-caffeine -- as per the discussion below.]
Last edited by GMATGuruNY on Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Followed by:1 members

by ov25 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:56 am
imo A is still a strong contender...

herez my take,

E) None of the salts carried into the Earth’s oceans by rivers are used up by biological activity in the oceans

says biological activity uses up the some salt (notice the authors did not use the word 'unusually') here... lets example

5 units every century and 1 unit is used up - lets say 3 centuries lapsed; salt deposited=15units, current levels=12units. So the "maximum" prediction could be 3 because, the current levels exceed 10. So this 'could' accurately predict the age as 3 centuries

However in the case of A, unusually high levels could distort the prediction off by couple centuries...
yr 1=5, yr2=10 (unusually high); yr 3=5; Total = 20 units
Prediction = 4yrs and actual = 3yrs.

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:50 am
ov25 wrote:imo A is still a strong contender...

herez my take,

E) None of the salts carried into the Earth’s oceans by rivers are used up by biological activity in the oceans

says biological activity uses up the some salt (notice the authors did not use the word 'unusually') here... lets example

5 units every century and 1 unit is used up - lets say 3 centuries lapsed; salt deposited=15units, current levels=12units. So the "maximum" prediction could be 3 because, the current levels exceed 10. So this 'could' accurately predict the age as 3 centuries

However in the case of A, unusually high levels could distort the prediction off by couple centuries...
yr 1=5, yr2=10 (unusually high); yr 3=5; Total = 20 units
Prediction = 4yrs and actual = 3yrs.
As per my post below, I'm inclined to agree with you.
Last edited by GMATGuruNY on Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:614 members
GMAT Score:800

by Stuart@KaplanGMAT » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:05 am
jainrahul1985 wrote:The Earth's rivers constantly carry dissolved salts into its oceans. Clearly, therefore, by taking the resulting increase in salt levels in the oceans over the past hundred years and then determining how many centuries of such increases it would have taken the oceans to reach current salt levels from a hypothetical initial salt-free state, the maximum age of the Earth's oceans can be accurately estimated.
Do you have the source and official answer? (A) should be the accredited answer.

Here we have the classic (and commonly appearing) argument structure "representativeness". The author draws a general conclusion (age of oceans) based on a small sample (last 100 years). In every such argument, the author is assuming that the sample is representative of the whole.

In this argument, therefore, the author must be assuming that the salt deposits of the last hundred years are typical of salt deposits since the oceans formed. (A) clearly iterates this assumption.

(E), on the other hand, falls into the classic GMAT assumption trap of "too extreme". As soon as I read the word "none" at the beginning, I eliminated it.

As GMATGuruNY correctly notes, the assumption is the answer choice that MUST BE TRUE; does it have to be true that NONE of the salts carried in are used up by biological activity? No! For example, if .000001% of the salt deposited is used up, will that mess up our calculation? Of course not.

Accordingly, (E) is too extreme to be a "MUST" be true assumption and can be safely eliminated.
Last edited by Stuart@KaplanGMAT on Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stuart Kovinsky | Kaplan GMAT Faculty | Toronto

Kaplan Exclusive: The Official Test Day Experience | Ready to Take a Free Practice Test? | Kaplan/Beat the GMAT Member Discount
BTG100 for $100 off a full course

Followed by:1 members

by ov25 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:06 am
Jainrahul wrote: Please notice how you keep using the word could.

Where ever I referred to could, I was basing on "the maximum age of the Earth's oceans can be accurately estimated" part of the stimulus.

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:22 am
ov25 wrote:Jainrahul wrote: Please notice how you keep using the word could.

Where ever I referred to could, I was basing on "the maximum age of the Earth's oceans can be accurately estimated" part of the stimulus.
Having finished my coffee, I'm starting to have a change of heart. As noted by Stuart, E is too extreme. It doesn't pass the negation test. Negated, E would say:

Some of the salts carried into the Earth's oceans by rivers are used up by biological activity in the oceans. (The opposite of none is some.)

Some of the salts could be a very, very small amount. If only a very small amount of the salts are used up, the conclusion of the argument remains valid: we could still deduce the age of the oceans.

Answer choice A, however, does pass the negation test. Negated, A would say:

The quantities of dissolved salts deposited by rivers in the Earth's oceans have been unusually large during the past hundred years.

If the statement above is true, we can't use data for the past hundred years to deduce what happened during previous centuries.

So the credited response should be A.

Sorry for the confusion! I should know better than to answer questions before I've been adequately caffeinated. :wink:

(Please note that to avoid further confusion I've edited my initial response above.)

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by lokesh r » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:00 pm
IMO E

OA pls..

As per passage amount salt in ocean is usefull in determining the maximum age of earth. If some of the salt in ocean is used by any bio process, calculating maximum age of earth would yeild erroneous result.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members

by lunarpower » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:30 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:

Having finished my coffee, I'm starting to have a change of heart. As noted by Stuart, E is too extreme. It doesn't pass the negation test. Negated, E would say:

Some of the salts carried into the Earth's oceans by rivers are used up by biological activity in the oceans. (The opposite of none is some.)

Some of the salts could be a very, very small amount. If only a very small amount of the salts are used up, the conclusion of the argument remains valid: we could still deduce the age of the oceans.

The quantities of dissolved salts deposited by rivers in the Earth's oceans have been unusually large during the past hundred years.

If the statement above is true, we can't use data for the past hundred years to deduce what happened during previous centuries.

Sorry for the confusion! I should know better than to answer questions before I've been adequately caffeinated. :wink:

(Please note that to avoid further confusion I've edited my initial response above.)
this is all good, but the problem with (e) is even more fundamental than picking at the word "none".

specifically, we're talking about increases in the oceans' salt levels, not the actual values of the salt levels themselves.
therefore, if biological activity is using up some of the salts, the increases will just be smaller -- but they'll be smaller across the board, thus NOT detracting from our ability to use them to estimate the maximum age of the ocean.
an estimate of the ocean's age could only be affected if biological activity used up ocean salts at erratic, highly fluctuating rates -- a highly unlikely outcome. if biological activity uses up ocean salts (especially over the extremely long time periods referenced in the passage), then it is almost certain to use up those salts at a very regular, predictable rate, meaning that the resulting estimates would not be affected.

as an analogy, let's say that biological activity uses up 50% of the marine salt.
this just means that all of the rates of increase -- across the board -- will just be half of what they would be without such activity. this won't change any of the estimates of the age of the ocean, since those estimates will just be based on rates of increase that are half as great.

if choice (a) is not true, on the other hand, then the data for the past hundred years will be wholly unrepresentative of the overall collection of data, and will thereby be useless for statistical inference. so you definitely need that assumption.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

by lokesh r » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:45 am
lunarpower wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:

this is all good, but the problem with (e) is even more fundamental than picking at the word "none".

specifically, we're talking about increases in the oceans' salt levels, not the actual values of the salt levels themselves.
therefore, if biological activity is using up some of the salts, the increases will just be smaller -- but they'll be smaller across the board, thus NOT detracting from our ability to use them to estimate the maximum age of the ocean.
an estimate of the ocean's age could only be affected if biological activity used up ocean salts at erratic, highly fluctuating rates -- a highly unlikely outcome. if biological activity uses up ocean salts (especially over the extremely long time periods referenced in the passage), then it is almost certain to use up those salts at a very regular, predictable rate, meaning that the resulting estimates would not be affected.

as an analogy, let's say that biological activity uses up 50% of the marine salt.
this just means that all of the rates of increase -- across the board -- will just be half of what they would be without such activity. this won't change any of the estimates of the age of the ocean, since those estimates will just be based on rates of increase that are half as great.

if choice (a) is not true, on the other hand, then the data for the past hundred years will be wholly unrepresentative of the overall collection of data, and will thereby be useless for statistical inference. so you definitely need that assumption.

Yes, i am now convinced with the answer option A.

Legendary Member
Followed by:49 members

by atulmangal » Sat May 28, 2011 7:49 am
I googled for the explanation of this tricky Question and i found a Great Discussion over here, thanks to all the experts here.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:640

by heyabhi » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:47 am
Whats wrong with B ? Isn't that an assumption too ?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:614 members

by Stuart@KaplanGMAT » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:24 am
heyabhi wrote:Whats wrong with B ? Isn't that an assumption too ?
Why do you think B must be true in order for the conclusion to follow? If you post your reasoning, we can give you a better answer.

There are two general reasons why B isn't an assumption.

First, it's too extreme. Does every river on earth have to have roughly the same level of salt for the proposed measurement system to work? No. In fact, even if every river on earth had a different salt level it wouldn't harm the argument.

Second, it's outside the scope (i.e. irrelevant). The method relies on measuring the current salt levels and comparing them to those of the last 100 years. The salt levels of the rivers has nothing to do with these measurements.

Stuart Kovinsky | Kaplan GMAT Faculty | Toronto

Kaplan Exclusive: The Official Test Day Experience | Ready to Take a Free Practice Test? | Kaplan/Beat the GMAT Member Discount
BTG100 for $100 off a full course