Help in Profile Evaluation

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Help in Profile Evaluation

by mohitbaid » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:54 pm
Hello

My name is Mohit and I intend to pursue a MBA [fall 2012]. Kindly help evaluating my profile

Profile:

Academic Qualifications:

1. Masters in Business Economics from Annamalai University [recognized by the UGC in India] - completing in May 2012
2. Bachelors in Commerce (Honours) [Finance and Taxation] from SRCC, Delhi University - Aggregating 75.5%
3. High School [Class XII] with Commerce with 96.75%

Professional Qualifications:

1. Chartered Accountant from the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India
2. CFA [USA] Level II cleared

Work Experience:

1. In pursuance of the chartered Accountancy course, I had worked in an Audit firm for 2 and a half years (one and a half years being alongside college). Also as a part of the curriculum, I had worked as an Industrial Trainee in the finance division at Goldman Sachs for a year.

2. I am currently working in a family owned logistics firm.

Extra Curricular:

1. I had held leadership roles while in college such as leading the organizing team for several events/seminars/competitions to editorial responsibilities for the college magazine.

2. Community Service
- Taught underprivileged children while at school for a year.
- Worked with an NGO imparting education to differently abled children.
- Participated in awareness activities initiated by a youth oriented national group.

3. As a part of the college Dramatics team, we had won at several national level drama competitions.

4. I have worked on/presented several academic projects/research papers on topics related to the corporate arena.

5. I have been actively participated in case study competitions at college level.

I have not yet taken the GMAT but am aiming for a 700+ score [based on mock exams]. Despite researching on several universities websites, forums and blogs, I have not yet been able to determine where I stand. Also I wish to apply to universities appearing in the top 20 but if you could guide me which Universities could form a part of the prospective list given the above profile.

Having a finance oriented career till date, from an MBA I hope to gain a holistic learning experience. I am intrigued by the case-based study curriculum adopted by most B school and I hope to develop the strategic thinking much needed in any business. Post MBA, I aspire to pursue an entrepreneurial career in consulting [majorly finance/audit oriented] and to help manage the logistics business.

It would be really helpful if you could guide me with an evaluation of my profile and how I could plan the way ahead.

Thank you

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:13 am
Dear Mohit,

You have the foundation for a competitive application, but until you have an actual GMAT score and start working on your applications, it will be hard to assess how competitive your application will be relative to the school's you target. Generally speaking, top 20 programs are fiercely competitive, so you will want to submit a stellar, overall application package to give yourself the best chance. You also want to target a few programs outside the top 20 that are a good match for you and your goals as there are no guarantees for any profile in MBA admissions. For tips on identifying programs that might be a good match for you, please read our sticky on school selection.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

by mohitbaid » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:57 am
Hi Lisa

Thank you for your response. I shall start working on my application as suggested alongside preparing for the GMAT.

I was a bit apprehensive about the time period I have to apply. Considering I am aiming for Fall 2012/Spring 2013 sessions, by when should I generally be aiming to complete my applications.

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:20 am
Generally speaking, most schools start accepting applications about a year in advance. So for a fall 2012 start, you would submit your application in fall 2011 (Sept-Dec). Ideally, you want to submit in the first or second round.

Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me

by mohitbaid » Thu May 26, 2011 9:36 am
Hi Lisa

While researching for business school to identify target programs, I was having a hard time selecting the business schools which are relatively more open to younger candidates. Since most college official websites display age of current students as a range, selecting schools based on this criteria becomes a bit tough.

Would appreciate it if you could list few business schools (mix of the top notch and middle bracket) which have been taking relatively younger candidates or have a preference for younger candidates?

Thank you

Mohit.

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Thu May 26, 2011 1:14 pm
All schools accept applications from applicants who meet the requirements. Most schools do not have a requirement for work experience, but do prefer at least 2 years post-bachelor's degree. Many schools have started to accept more applicants with 2-4 years experience as the global applicant pool is growing on the lower end of the experience range. I would not say any school has a preference for any type of applicant; all schools admit a class they feel is the strongest subset of its applicant pool.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me

by mohitbaid » Thu May 26, 2011 2:12 pm
I agree that most business schools have started relaxed the work experience duration factor, but Stanford and Harvard were the only two names I came across where the average age has seen a downward trend. Moreover, through posts on the forum, I've realized that some schools have a tendency to admit people with significant work experience.

Somehow I have the notion that business schools do not restrict candidates with less work experience to apply but at the same time prefer to have an experienced candidate pool. My query stems from this thought since I am having approximately 2 years of post bachelor's experience. Since I intend to apply to a select few this year, would really appreciate it if you could give me a jumpstart with a few names to ponder upon.

Thanks.

Mohit