Failed the GMAT (520-Q38-V23).. attempting 2 years later

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:520
Hello all,
I've been a silent user of this site two years ago and in the last weeks. I've found many interesting inputs on how to shape my preparation and a lot of useful study materials... but now I really need your help guys, because I'm a bit in a time crunching situation and I need to define my strategy to attack this exam again.

I'm a 30 y.o. Italian, with most of my English knowledge relying on my father teachings at childhood age (hence not standard but good). Currently living and working in Belgium, so using French (and a bit of Flemish)for 90% of my time. I have a Business related degree, with almost 7 years experience in Sales and Business Development of which a bit more than one as Foreign Subsidiary Director, all of them spent in Business to Busines machinery supply.

2 years ago I've tackled the GMAT preparation in 1.5 months time, in which I also prepared my application to a Business school, and worked fulltime with considerable time spent travelling abroad. My CV looked tasty to them, and being in the rush time for last round of admission they invited me to the Interview the day before sitting for my first official GMAT attempt.
The next day result was a total disaster 520 with Q38 and V23. Needless to say my score was to low for being admitted.
Frustration was mainly due to the fact that in the GMAT prep from MBA.COM practice attempts I've scored btw 580 and 610. At the time I had also used Kaplan's simulation scoring 560, and Manhattan Gmat's CAT Online test but due to oftenly hitching broadband service I couldn't take the results as rappresentative.

2 years later after significant progresses in my career I've decided to take back the challenge again...
Time has erased memories of past exercises, so I've reembraced the same material I had in my hands:

- OG-12th ed.
- Kaplan GMAT Book
- Mc Graw Hill GMAT guide
(2009 ed, never used the book till now)

I've studied some 10 days on the OG to refresh my knowledge of maths&co. not touching at all any V-related subject. This week I attempted some of the OG Quant-problems, and scored around 80-85% correct. So I decided to try a complete simulation today disfruting of my day off.
I've done the Official Prep simulation and scored:
640 Q46 V32....not bad, but I need and want to improve.
I checked in details my scores, and I realised I have to improve on DS in general, and some of the arguments for Problem Solving. Verbal-wise my results in SC are not conforting at the time.

I need your help guys now... Please help me!!! I need to know which material might be most suitable to my improvements needs and which preparation strategies do you suggest for a shortege of time situation like the one I'm in....

Thanks to all of you and keep up the good job!
Believing is making it

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:520

by kenji » Tue May 17, 2011 11:29 am
:-( yuk, no help
Believing is making it

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by smackmartine » Sat May 21, 2011 5:14 pm
If you are not a native English speaker , you have lot to do ! Improve your verbal by at least 12 points. Read Read and Read!!! Improve your Data Sufficiency. Do not schedule next Test unless you start getting your dream scores. Stay focussed and think positive.Above all be punctual in your studies. Nothing is impossible!!!

Good luck!